Johnsons Battery VA Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnsons Battery VA Artillery

Looking for any info on Johnson's Battery VA Artillery. My Great grandfather served with the Staunton Hill Battery VA Artillery(Capt Paris Battery) until after after Bentonville NC battle March 1865 and was consolidated after the battle. I have his parole signe May 1865 saying he was paroled as part of Johnson's battery. I kow it was consolidated with Cheatham's division, Hardee's Corps after Bentonville. This corps probably surrendered with Johnston at Durham Station in March 1865. Could anyone shed some light. I am looking for followup info from Bentonville thru the surrender and unit history. They were part of The Army of Tennessee.

Roger Brightwell
    roger@rbright.com

Re: Johnsons Battery VA Artillery

I suggest you try to find a copy of H E Howard's Virginia Regimental History Series on Johnson's Battery. I believe he did one on Johnson's battery (it rings a bell).

Greg Starbuck
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Thank you. Sent you a PM.

Roger Brightwell
      roger@rbright.com

Comment

Roger,

As Greg has suggested, see if your library can track down a copy of the battery history.

Jeffrey C. Weaver. Branch, Harrington and Staunton Hill Artillery (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, Inc., 1997)

Good luck!

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Thank you. I have a personal copy of this book signed by the author and numbered. Just reread som of the last entries. I will need to do further research on Manly's Battalion since the unit remained intact until Johnston's surrender at Durham Station. The history says that others were consolidated but Paris's battery remained intact supporting Hardee's Corps, AOT{( Lousiana Battery, Capt William Bridges; North Carolina Battery, Captain George B. Atkins; South Carolina Battery, Captain George H Walter; South Carolina Battery Captain William E. Zimmerman; Virginia (Paris)Battery, LT Thomas M. Tucker)}. 10 soldiers took their paroles elsewhere, my Great grandfather one of those. His parole was signed at Campbell CH, Virginia May 1865 but has Johnson Bat. It could be Battery, not sure. I will include a copy scanned from my copy I just got. If anyone has anymore info, it would be appreciated.

Roger Brightwell
          roger@rbright.com
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lrbrightwell; 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X