Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas

I think this also has some messages for today...
    As transcribed by Vicki Betts at http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/newspaper_intro.htm

DALLAS [Texas] HERALD, December 25, 1861, p. 2, c. 2
    Christmas! Christmas!!
    Once more this ancient festival has dawned upon our land, and all hearts seem as merry as when, two years ago, peace and prosperity reigned throughout the length and breadth of the country. But in reality the times are sadly changed in places, and although we are freed here from the pressures of the enemy, there are places in our beloved Confederacy where Christmas will be shorn of half its holy memories, and the heart closed against the softer emotions that usually obtain at such a time. Deserted homes and darkened firesides, where the yule-log was wont to blaze, the silent festive halls and blackened ruins now usurp "the blithesome and gay" scenes of old Christmas, and many a little pair of stockings, instead of hanging for Kriss Kringle's present, perhaps now but barely cover the little red and frost bitten feet of their owners, and the mistletoe bough hangs untouched and unhonored in its parent stem, moaning in the cold air of winter, o'er the hard hearts of men. Christmas with us is as happy as usual, and while we are enjoying its pleasures at home and meet around the flowing bowl of egg-nogg, crowned with its snowy diadem, let us reflect upon our soldiers, and if we have anything to give, let us give it to the needy and may be suffering men, who have volunteered to fight our battles, and are now exposed to the bleak clime of a more northern latitude, where the soft and gentle amenities of a home and Christmas times will be banished in the midst of our joys, let us not forget the absent soldier who in his heart has said a hundred times, "I wish I were at home to spend my Christmas." Each one should send a Christmas gift to the far-off soldier, and show how dearly he is remembered.
    Christmas is a holy time, and will be rendered doubly so, if we improve it by doing our duty. A happy Christmas to our readers and friends, and a joyful return of the absent soldier to his family, is our wish and prayer.
    Annette Bethke
    Austin TX
    Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
    [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Re: Christmas

Annette-

I, amid many others, know how it feels to be in a combat zone for Christmas and away from everyone you love and the sentiment written here more that 140+ years ago is just as true today as it was back then.
    Thanks for sharing that. It brought a tear to the back of my eye to remember.

Please don't forget our servicemen and women this holiday season in your deeds, thoughts and prayers.

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Re: Christmas

Annette:

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the posting.

Vivian Harrington
      Vivian Harrington

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
      --Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
      A happy life consists in tranquility of mind.
      --Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

Working...
      X