Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howlett Line/Bermuda Hundred

Gents,

Hope this note finds everyone enjoying the new year. As the title suggests, I'm looking for information about the Howlett line and the Bermuda Hundred area. I've read Back Door to Richmond and was wondering if anyone knew of any other books which continues on about this front. Back Door to Richmond ends with the establishment of the defensive lines, but I was wanting to find out more about this sector of the siege of Petersburg & Richmond. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Daniel Gidick
    Last edited by Charlestonian; 01-01-2009, 08:54 PM.

Re: Howlett Line/Bermuda Hundred

Daniel,

Another couple titles you might consider are:

Herbert M. Schiller. The Bermuda Hundred Campaign (Dayton: Morningside House, Inc., 1988)

Richard J. Sommers. Richmond Redeemed: The Siege at Petersburg (New York: Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1981)

Many sites associated with the Bermuda Hundred Campaign are still accessible. Some of these are maintained by the Chesterfield County Department of Parks and Recreation. A list and information can be found at the following address:

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'm also going to have a look at Army of Amateurs which is about the Army of the James.

Regards,
      Daniel Gidick

Comment

Dan,

There was also an old issue of Blue & Gray magazine about the Bermuda Hundred campaign. It was issue 37, Volume VII (1989-90). B&G always has a driving tour section with good photos to help you track down the sites today.

Army of Amateurs is a good read, but suffers from a lack of good maps.

Cheers to you!
        John Christiansen
        SGLHA
        PLHA

Comment

"Parkers Virginia Battery CSA" by Krick has a whole chapter about life on the Howlett Line. It talks about the Ware Bottom Church and the several skirmishes over the spring. It also talks about the earthworks, how and why they were build as they are. Also there are several maps which I found very informative in my relic hunting days. You may or may not know that the position occupied by Parkers Battery is now NPS. The Battery along with the 17th VA. Inf. used the land for reunions until all the men were almost gone. They then gave it to the park service. The rest of the book is also well worth finding a copy and reading. I would rate it in the top ten CS regimentals that I have read over the years.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
          X