Anyone Have More Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have More Info

Does anyone have more info on the civil war tours on June 19-22 entitled "Richmond at War" by the Shenandoah Civil War Associates? Clicking on the link for presenters and guides I do not recognize any of the names.

Just wondering if it was going to be quality led tours or if they are pretty much going to just point and read from a brochure (I can do that myself).
    If I put this in the wrong place please move it.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: Anyone Have More Info

Bobby Krick, Jeff Wert, Mike Gorman and Chris Ferguson? You can't get much better than those folks for the subjects they're covering.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Robert Krick is well known in Civil War circles. Prior to retiring from 30 years of service with the National Park, he was the chief historian at Fredericksburg and has authored about a dozen books including the famous Conquering the Valley about Jackson's famous Valley Campaign. While retired, he's still very active in Civil War circles and still writes, researches, and gives talks. He was the keynote speaker in the 2008 Annual West Coast Civil War Conference in Clovis, CA. Our theme last year was War in the Shenandoah Valley. BTW, his book, The Smoothbore Volley That Doomed the Confederacy is excellent reading and for a novice like me, important for understanding the Lost Cause and its affect upon historical interpretation.

Jeffery Wert received Pennsylvania's Teacher of the Year Award prior to retiring. He was also a speaker at the 2008 Annual West Coast Civil War Conference. He stands in no man's shadow and is a powerhouse unto himself. He's written several books including one on Stuart (Cavalryman of the Lost Cause), The Brotherhood of Valor, one about Longstreet, another about Mosby and yet another about the Shenandoah Valley Campaign. He's a great speaker (you have to be to keep a bunch of high school kids interested) and knows his material.
      GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
      High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Thanks guys...i'm sure iv'e read materials by these guys before but i'm really bad with remembering names. I never forget faces....but names are my weak point. I'm a teacher myself so it sounds like a wonderful tour...and really, after figuring in the cost of staying the weekend, the price is not half bad.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

FYI. The Bob Krick involved in this program is Robert E.L. Krick (the younger), not Robert K. Krick (the elder) who wrote all of those wonderful titles listed by Gary. Bobby, the younger, is a stellar historian in his won right, who is steeped in Richmond history and the author of a few books himself. The apple did not fall from the tree and the tour will undoubtedly be well worth it.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I've met Bobby Krick (Bob E. L. Krick) and he's known for the book, Confederate Staff Officers. Excellent book that sits on my shelf alongside other research materials (like Ezra Warner's Generals in Gray and Generals in Blue, Boatner's Civil War Dictionary, Patricia Faust's The Illustrated Encylopedia of the Civil War, Annals of War, Battles and Leaders). Bobby has a very sharp mind. I asked him about "Bird" Davidson and he zoomed into an article which he mailed to me. That article gave me Davidson's first name and enabled me to track down more information on him.
            GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
            High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
            X