Lincoln's Bodyguard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln's Bodyguard?

Does anyone have information/a good source on who would have served as a bodyguard for President Lincoln? Were troops ever used? Pinkerton's? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Greg Swank
    49th IN Co. F
    Tanglefoot Mess

Re: Lincoln's Bodyguard?

I think it was usually troops, and volunteers at that. This article by Andy Bryant tells the story of William F. Cost, who served as a guard for the President both as a member of the 1st DC Infantry and in a special detachment of the 11th New York Cavalry:
    http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic...PersonCost.htm

Dyer's Compendium also describes Co K of the 150th Pennsylvania Infantry and the Union Light Guard (Ohio Cavalry) as having served the role of "body guard" to the President.
    Brendan Hamilton
    Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

For at least part of the war, men from the 150th PA, one of the "New Bucktail" regiments, served as a body guard to the President.
      Andrew Roscoe,
      The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
      24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Mr. Norm Alderman, now in his late 80's, is a distinguished and decorated WWII Veteran in our community here in Virginia Beach. Norm's Grandfather was a U. S. Naval Officer in the Civil War. He commanded a gunboat on the James River for much of the war.

Anyway, later in the war, this gentleman was detached from service afloat and detailed as one of President Lincoln's personal bodyguards. Lincoln had a group of army & navy officers, serving as aides and adjutants, assigned to his staff for this duty. Norm's Grandfather, though he frequently traveled with Mr. Linclon as a bodyguard in the course of his duties, was not on duty with the President the evening he was assasinated.

Jeff Christman
        Naval Order of the United States
        Liberty Hall Fifes & Drums
        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

My boys and I represent the 9th Veteran Reserve Corps on occasion, which had the opportunity and honor during the ACW to serve as Lincoln's personal guard...also a number of the boys form the 9th had accompanied Lincolns coffin as honor guards, during the Presidents journey home to Illinois. It is interesting to note that during the late Presidents journey, only twenty-nine men were allowed to move his coffin from place to place, all of which were members of the Veteran Reserve Corps.
          Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
          James A. Peifer
          Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

When Lincoln was inuagurated in 1861, members of Washington's Turnverein or German Gymnastics club offered their services to act as a bodyguard. Members of the shooting section of the club (sometimes viewed as a psuedo milita) known as the "Turner Rifles", apparently guarded Abe at one point.
            Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
            52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
            & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

From what we can gather thus far, it is safe to say, that there have been a vast number of individuals who can claim the right to have guarded the President...From "Bucktails" and V.R.C, to pseudo-militia.
              Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
              James A. Peifer
              Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

The company of the 150 Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry were posted at Lincoln's Summer Cottage. They were the ones who investigated that shot that pierced the president's hat. Also read Charles Stone's entry in Vol. 1 of Battles & Leaders. He talks about using the loyal militia of Washington as a source of sharpshooters to protect the president elect when he was driven in a carriage along the inauguration route.
                GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

See if you can find a copy of Smith Stinnel's, Personal Reminiscences of Abraham Lincoln. Stinnel was a member of the Ohio's Union Light Guard and published a slim volume of his service. The book was privately reprinted in 1997 (Kearney, NE: Morris Publishing, 1997) but the contact information on the website, 'Ohio in the Civil War', no longer works. There is a wartime photo of Sergeant Smith astride his horse in the book: forage cap, brogans, holstered pistol.
                  James Brenner

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone. Doing a little thing for a local historical society fundraiser, and I wanted to be as accurate as possible in this respect. Great info!
                    Greg Swank
                    49th IN Co. F
                    Tanglefoot Mess

Comment

Working...
                    X