Nat'l Archive Research Clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nat'l Archive Research Clinic

I'm about to make my first visit ever to the National Archives in D.C. Getting there is the easy part. Will take the metro in from Springfield/Franconia. However, I haven't a clue as to how to start my research. I'll be looking up info on the 103rd Illinois Vol Inf. How do I go about requesting the pertinient boxes of paperwork. I'm very interested in clothing returns and any minutia reagard this regiment. Any direction would be of help. Cheers!
    John Marler
    Franklin, TN

Re: Nat'l Archive Research Clinic

A couple articles, from the National Archives, worth reading before your visit:

Michael P. Musick "The Little Regiment: Civil War Units and Commands," Prologue, Vol. 27, No. 2 (Summer 1995)

Michael P. Musick "War in an Age of Wonders: Civil War Arms and Equipment," Prologue, Vol. 27, No. 4 (Winter 1995)

My suggestion is to get as early a start as you can.

Good luck and have fun.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Thanks much Eric...

Cheers!
      John Marler
      Franklin, TN

Comment

When you get there, you'll have to go through a security check similar to what you go through at an airport. The guards will ask for an ID and have you sign in and ask if you have a cell phone or other electronic device. They'll then direct you to a back office on the same floor where you'll get a researcher's pass. It'll be good for a year. Once you get that, ask to see an archivist. Their office is also on the same floor in the corner.I don't recall the lady's name who works with Old Army records, but she'll show you a list that contains the regiment/company order books for your regiment. She will help you fill out a request form. Be aware, though, that NARA only pulls records a few times each day: 1000, 1100, 1300, and 1400 and it takes about 45 minutes from when you request them to when you receive them.

While you're waiting, the microfilm records (and readers) are also on the first floor. I'd recommend looking at the index for pension records and quarterly ordnance reports. I don't recall the microfilm numbers off hand (they'll be M-something), but a search of the AC should produce them. Copy down the file numbers off the microfilm because you'll have to submit requests to see the actual records, much like you do for the order books.

A couple of pointers. Bring a quarter with you. You'll have to store your coats, backpacks, etc. in them. Bring a lunch. Unless you're reading microfilm, you cannot bring pens, papers, books, etc. into the reading room on the 3rd floor. Put them in the locker, too. Bring dollar bills (fives, tens, and twenties are okay, too) so you can buy a copy card and load it up. If you have a laptop and a digital camera (no flash), that's okay. You can take them into the reading room. Don't bring a cell phone; the guards will take it from you and return it when you leave. Too many people didn't play nice with their phones. If you plan to be here on a Saturday, NARA will be open, but they do not pull records. If you're going to do research on the weekend, make sure you have your requests in on Friday so you can read the documents on Saturday. Otherwise it'll be either a wasted trip or you'll have to spend your time reading microfilm and, if you're like me, getting seasick.

One last thing: take Metro (Yellow Line) to the Navy Memorial/National Archives station. Don't even think about trying to drive and park.

Hope this helps.

Jim
        James Brenner

Comment

Working...
        X