Time-Life Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time-Life Lincoln

Time-Life has brought out one of their magazine-sized books to commemorate Lincoln's 200th birthday. I'm enjoying ours not as much for the text (which, for Time, seems remarkably even-handed) but for the photographs. If you're stuck on dial-up the way we are, it's often hard to download a really good clear version of some of them. For instance, this morning I noticed:
    --In the (in?) famous McClellan-Lincoln tent conference photo, there's an American flag being used as a tablecloth. The pattern of the coverlet on the other table jumped out at me, too. I can't tell which Confederate flag is lying by the table, because of the way it's folded into a square, but the fringe on the Federal flag is visible...even if there is stuff stacked on it.
    --The picture of field burials by the pond at Manassas still isn't quite clear enough to read the names on the headboards, only to see there's writing on them.
    --The four soldiers sitting on a ridge overlooking a Federal came in 1862 show quite a bit of detail. I looked at their hair because of the perpetual long hair/short hair debate. Theirs is neither what I would consider very long nor very short, although they all could have used a trim and wouldn't be modern regulation because at least one had hair touching his shirt collar. Were they in modern clothes, their hair wouldn't draw a second glance from passers-by.

In short, there's not a whole lot revolutionary in the text, but it's worth having if you have a spare $10 when you're in the grocery store checkout or at the Wal-Mart magazine section.
    Becky Morgan
Working...
X