Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Diary of Bartlett Yancey Malone, 6th N.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Diary of Bartlett Yancey Malone, 6th N.C.

THE DIARY OF
    BARTLETT YANCEY MALONE

I came across this today, it's a 59 page dairy of private and later Sgt. Bartlett Yancy Malone, 6th N.C. from June 1861 to his parole in the spring of 1865. As he stated himself he graduated from the fields and his spelling and writing reflects it, which for me was like he was sitting right here telling me the story.
    He was captured in the fall of 1863 and spent the rest of the war in Point Lookout prisoner of war camp in Maryland.
    He downplays his own parts in battle, at one point noting that he was cut above the eye by a piece of shell but saying nothing more about it or playing up his own actions.
    Being a farmer and living the soldier's life outside he sometimes writes only about the weather and having been a ranch hand and a farm hand this strikes a very close cord with me.
    I was really excited to find a enlisted level diary from what looks to be a plain and very simple man.

The hosting site-Documenting the American South- seems to have a treasure of other documents and such, but I'm already up way past my bedtime today and have not looked through them yet except a peak here or there to see what I want to read next.
    Here's the link:

I ran his name through the search feature and didn't come up with any hits. If this diary has already been covered please forgive me
    Art Reid
    Washington DC

Re: The Diary of Bartlett Yancey Malone, 6th N.C.

I did a little looking on the Casewell County NC website and found some more information:

ID: I15362
    Name: Bartlett Yancey Malone
    Sex: M
    Birth: ABT 1839 4
    Death: 1890

"Bartlett Yancey Malone was a Civil War Veteran and author of a diary published by the University of North Carolina Press. He participated in most of the great battles. He tells important stories of the war. He had a conviction of sincerity, a very brave man, with no complaints. He had a job to do and did it, with a compulsion to write about it."

Source: The Heritage of Caswell County, North Carolina, Jeannine D. Whitlow, Editor (1985) at 367-368 (Article #459 "The Malone Family" by Pearl Sledge McCarroll)

Note the following from When the Past Refused to Die: A History of Caswell County North Carolina 1777-1977, William S. Powell (1977) at 201:

Sergeant Bartlett Yancey Malone from the Hyco Creek community of southeastern Caswell County enlisted in this company [Company H, Sixth Regiment, North Carolina State Troops, initially called the "Caswell Boys"] of June 6, 1861, when he was 22. He kept a diary or journal that he began in December and continued until March, 1865, in which he recorded in a matter of fact fashion interesting but often routine daily events. He was in a Union prison at Point Lookout, Maryland, in 1863 when this entry was written: "The 25th was Christmas day and it was clear and cool and I was boath coal and hungry all day onley got a peace of Bread and a cup of coffee for Breakfast and a small Slice of Meat and a cup of Soop and five Crackers for Dinner and Supper I had non:" Malone's journal is owned by his descendants, but it was published in Chapel Hill in 1919 as "The Diary of Bartlett Yancey Malone" in the James Sprunt Historical Publications. Vol. 16, No. 2, and again in 1960 as Whipt 'em Everytime by the McCowat-Mercer Press, Inc., Jackson, Tennessee.

Father: James Blackwell Malone b: 30 JUN 1802 in North Carolina
    Mother: Sally Baker Murray b: 6 AUG 1801

Marriage 1 Mary Frances Compton
    Married: 15 NOV 1866 in Caswell County, North Carolina 1
    Note:
    Marriage Record
    Groom: Bartlett Y. Malone
    Bride: Mary F. Crumpton [Compton]
    Bond Date: 31 October 1866
    Bondsman/Witness: Allen Harralson
    Marriage Date: 15 November 1866
    Married By: F. L. Oakley, Minister of the Gospel
    Source: Caswell County, North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1778-1868, Katharine Kerr Kendall (1981) at 66.

Sources:
    The Heritage of Caswell County, North Carolina, Jeannine D. Whitlow, Editor (1985) at 367-368 (Article #459 "The Malone Family" by Pearl Sledge McCarroll).
    North Carolina Death Certificate of Fannie Robena Malone Jenkins (1881-1956).
    Caswell County in the World War, 1917-1918: Service Records of Caswell County Men, George A. Anderson (1921) at 104.
    When the Past Refused to Die: A History of Caswell County North Carolina 1777-1977, William S. Powell (1977) at 201.

Art Reid
    Washington DC

Comment

Working...
    X