Clear All

• Production/Use figures for guns

1861/63 Springfield-----------1,400,000
    p58 Enfield-------------------900,000
    Lorenz-----------------------325,000
    1842 Springfield--------------275,000
    Remington 1863 (Zoli)--------12,500
    Sharps Rifle(not carbine)-----11,000

I am doing a very simple statistical breakdown of the infantry weapons used in the whole ACW and am stuck on finding stats, even ball park for the numbers of Converts or/and Flintlocks used. This list in no way complete and I intend to add things like the Henry as I go.
    I am then going to compare the findings against the weapons in use in my own society just for my own curiosity.
    I anyone thinks my Figures are wrong please say and if anyone can add any more weapons and numbers please do so, especialy those flinters and converts.
    I am aware that this general survey and stat block is not year specific and it is just a general thing.
    I Have avoided Cav weapons and sidearms.
    Thanx in advance for any assistance and when I mash the figures I will be more than happy to share them.
    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Re: Production/Use figures for guns

Hallo!

In brief and to over-generalize...

IMHO, I would drop the Remington M1863 Contract Rifle from the list as it appears that they never left storage until sold off after the War.
    Perhaps replace it with the U.S. or Contract M1841 Rifle ("Mississippi") of which some 74,000 were made and in one form or another (original or altered) and 43,375 in Federal armories or arsenals in 1859.

There is always a "fudge factor" for arms between the numbers produced and use/attrition. Plus, as the more "modern" M1861/SM1861/M1863/M1864 arms were produced in growing numbers, the older type weapons were NUG replaced (exceptions so noted).

The Ordnance Report for January 21, 1861 listed 525,948 "muskets" on hand (115,024 in arsenals/armories in the "South"). Of those, 167,000 were M1842 muskets.
    By numbers, the most "common" longarm on hand in 1861 was some version of the M1822 musket (Springfield making only 30,421 M1835/M1840's).

Flintlocks are messy, and hard to capture in numbers. The 1859 Ordnance survey found 275,744 .69 muskets altered to percussion-- those being mostly M1822's with some few M1835/40's. Plus 14,765 altered with the Maynard tape system locks. It does not mention flintlocks. (IMHO, most of the unaltered M1822/M1835s were in "state" armories/arsenals and hard to get numbers on.)

Curt

(A possibly interesting "attrition factor" [ or miscount?] can be seen in the 1859 survey that listed 561,400 "muskets," down to 525,948 "muskets" in 1861.)
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

What about the 1861 Colt Contract Musket with 100,000 manufactured?
      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Hallo!

For rifle-muskets, made or delivered*:

M1855..................59,273
        M1861..................265,129
        M1861 Contract.....491,438
        SM1861 Contract...152,001
        M1863..................273,265
        M1864..................255,040

(minor others not included)

Curt

* Not all arms contracted for were delivered. Some reference books cite contract figures not arms made and delivered.)
        Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
          Hallo!

Flintlocks are messy, and hard to capture in numbers. The 1859 Ordnance survey found 275,744 .69 muskets altered to percussion-- those being mostly M1822's with some few M1835/40's. Plus 14,765 altered with the Maynard tape system locks. It does not mention flintlocks. (IMHO, most of the unaltered M1822/M1835s were in "state" armories/arsenals and hard to get numbers on.)

Curt

(A possibly interesting "attrition factor" [ or miscount?] can be seen in the 1859 survey that listed 561,400 "muskets," down to 525,948 "muskets" in 1861.)

Curt,

Is there any documentation the Federal Government continued convert flintlocks after 1861?
          Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Hallo!

It is my understanding of the history that the efforts to modernize flintlocks to percussion were done mostly in the 1840's and early 1850's as a result of the 1840's survey completed in 1848.

It was determined that there were 325,339 flintlock muskets of mostly the
            M1822 and some M1835/40 types suitable for alteration to percussion. Springfield did 86,565 with the rest being done by Harpers Ferry, Plus, Remington did 20,000 Maynard system alterations after their 1854 contract. And Daniel Nippes did 2,000-4,000 M1835/40's

Several thousand more flintlocks were contractor converted at the beginning of the War, including 20,000 by Hewes & Phillips between 1861 and 1862.

Basically, the Federal government focused on the post 1855 updating of
            altered to percussion M1822 and /M1835/40's and M1842 either by rifling for the .69 EB, or rifling and adding rear sights. (Or in some rare cases adding rear sights to smoothbores.)
            And updating the M1841 Rifle to be more "like" the M1855 Rifle.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
              Hallo!

It is my understanding of the history that the efforts to modernize flintlocks to percussion were done mostly in the 1840's and early 1850's as a result of the 1840's survey completed in 1848.

Basically, the Federal government focused on the post 1855 updating of
              altered to percussion M1822 and /M1835/40's and M1842 either by rifling for the .69 EB, or rifling and adding rear sights. (Or in some rare cases adding rear sights to smoothbores.)
              And updating the M1841 Rifle to be more "like" the M1855 Rifle.

Curt
              Thanks Curt,

That was my understanding. Nothing but contract weapons after about 1855, when Harpers Ferry and Springfield started production on the M-1855's.

I love the conversion weapons.
              Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Hallo!

"I love the conversion weapons."

Me too! And wish someone would make a repro!! ;) :)

Curt
                Who really regrets selling his M1822 "Belgian" conversion in a moment of weakness Mess
                Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Yes, yes, I agree! I've always gotten a kick out of conversion muskets, they're is something so neat abut them. What I really wish was reproduced, though, is an affordable Lorenz.
                  Dave Schwartz,
                  Company B, 79th NY Vols.
                  (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

GUYS THIS IS WONDERFUL.
                    I am slowly adding figures but wha it is pointing to in the small survey in our part of Brit reenacting is an overrepresentation of Enfields and an under so of all Springys. Zolis make a appearance not because of histocal sgnificance but beacause in the Uk, back in the early days of ACW reenacting they were one of the few readily available for a long time.
                    I ad considered removing them from my stats as most spent all their time languishing in armouries, but left them in as this is a whole war head count, although I will put that as a note on the bottom.

p58 Enfield ----------------17-----46.0%
                    1861/63 Springfield --------9-----24.3%
                    Sharps Rifle(not carbine)---4-----10.8%
                    Convert to percussion------3-----08.1%
                    1842 Springfield-------------2-----05.4%
                    Remington 1863 (Zoli)------2-----05.4%
                    1841 Mississippi-------------0-----00.0%
                    Lorenz------------------------0-----00.0%
                    Colt Revolving Rifle---------0-----00.0%

(% AMMENDED FROM UPDATE 34 guns on poll and 3 post additions 37 TOT)

These are results so far , I would like 100 to make it a sensible number.

1861/63 Springfield------1,400,000-----------46.2%
                    p58 Enfield-------------------900,000----------29.7%
                    Lorenz------------------------325,000----------10.7%
                    1842 Springfield-------------275,000----------09.1%
                    1841 Mississippi-------------100,000----------03.3%
                    Remington 1863 (Zoli)--------12,500---------00.4%
                    Sharps Rifle(not carbine)-----11,000---------00.4%
                    Colt Revolving Rifle------------4,500---------00.1%
                    TOT ................................3,028,000

And this is my list prior to adding your figures and a few others.

Thanx again

P.S. The want for a representation of Lorenz here is also wanted and a source of them may have been found. If so am I OK to say where or is this breaking the approved Vendor rule?
                    Last edited by Indianabugles; 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM.
                    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
                    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Working...
                    X