Where is Big Lynch Creek, SC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Big Lynch Creek, SC?

While looking through my geneology with my grandfather, we discovered that our ancestor, Jepitha Ginn, who was the first to come to America on his side of the family, first settled on 40 acres at a place called Big Lynch Creek in Lancaster County, South Carolina. We're trying to find out where this is so we may possibly go visit the approximate site. However, I've had a little trouble finding it. The only thing that I've found is a few regimental histories and a report from Oliver Howard stating that during Sherman's March through the Carolina's they camped briefly at Big Lynch Creek. I've also read two different dates on when the army crossed their, one on Feburary 24th, and another on March 1st. Has anybody, in their study of Sherman's March through the Carolina's, ever come across this name, and if so could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Tim Koenig

Re: Where is Big Lynch Creek, SC?

From one website I see there is a Lynch Creek near present day Bethune which is north of Camden. I don't know if it is what you're looking for.
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Well it says Bethune is in Kershaw County, but I don't know how the county lines have changed over the years. Initially I thought it would be a tributary of Lynch's river, but I think that's a little to far north. I was hoping someone had come across while reading about Sherman. But then again there's no way to know if the name of the creek changed over the years either.
      Tim Koenig

Comment

Well, you have big and little Lynches Creek. Chances are big Lynches creek was down around Tradesville, an area around Lynches Creek. Formally there were no area called Big Lynches Creek but the Creek was referred as Big Lynches Creek. I have lived in the area all my life and have studied and researched it for many years. There were a bridge and ford where Chesterfield and Lancaster County met. I will pull my maps and books out and double check but I am betting that it was where the creek was in the Tradesville/Wildcat area of Lancaster County.
        Claude Sinclair
        Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Since there's both a Lynch's Creek and Little Lynch's Creek in Kershaw Co., flowing all the way down to the Pedee River, I think that's got to be it. (Edited to add, I see Claude already posted that!) A simple google search for "Big Lynch Creek" shows lots of mentions of Camden SC in connection with it, and the third hit mentions a period reference to Tillers Ferry over Big Lynch Creek.

A great place to look for period maps is the Library of Congress website. The attached 1830s map of South Carolina shows Tillers Ferry over "Lynches Creek" where it splits from Little Lynches Creek. It's just above the "W" of Kershaw, in the lower right part. The home page of the map is here. On that page, you can blow it up more and look around, but I've attached the part of the map that shows Lynches Creek and Lancaster Co.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@gmail.com
          Hank Trent

Comment

The only Ginn that I could find in Lancaster County was "The Widow Ginn" which was listed in the late 1700's on a land deed. She was residing where the Flat Creek flowed into the Lynches River aka Lynches Creek. A reference on a modern day map would be where Hwy 265 crosses into Chesterfield County. The area today is referenced as Flat Creek/Taxahaw area and back in the early days it was the Hickory Head area due to the large Hickory trees growning in the area. Hope that this helps some. The area is rich in history and Gold mining was big during those days in that area.
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

What source did you use to look it up? A while back a cousin of mine used our geneology as part of his PHD project, it was mostly of the Scotts and Magees, but the Ginn's married into that family and we have pretty difinative sources saying Jepitha Ginn bought 40 acres on Big Lynch Creek in 1802 (I'll try and post the documention) Thanks for all of your help though, it certainly was what I'm looking for.
              Tim Koenig

Comment

I have an opportunity to visit 13 Bridges in Chesterfield Cty, SC and Tiller's Ferry and 40-acre rock. When can I locate information about the history of these sights.

Thanks!

KKoch
                Florence, SC

Comment

Working...
                X