USS Galena Marine Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Galena Marine Guard

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was a Marine guard aboard the USS Galena after it was recommissioned in Feb. of '64? Ive found a wealth of info regarding the Galena's role at Drewry's Bluff and with the James river flotilla, and on its involvement at Mobile bay. I havent been able to find any mention of a Marine Guard after it was recommissioned. Also, when a ship (any ship) was decommissioned/recommissioned during the civil war, when did the Marine Guard embark/disembark and where did they usually go (Naval Yard, another ship)? Thanks for any and all info.

-Lawrence Perreira-
    American by birth, Marine by choice.

--Lawrence Perreira

Re: USS Galena Marine Guard

Originally posted by LJPerreira View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was a Marine guard aboard the USS Galena after it was recommissioned in Feb. of '64? Ive found a wealth of info regarding the Galena's role at Drewry's Bluff and with the James river flotilla, and on its involvement at Mobile bay. I havent been able to find any mention of a Marine Guard after it was recommissioned. Also, when a ship (any ship) was decommissioned/recommissioned during the civil war, when did the Marine Guard embark/disembark and where did they usually go (Naval Yard, another ship)? Thanks for any and all info.

-Lawrence Perreira-

Have you contacted the Naval musuem at the Navy Yard? They might be of help.

As for what happened to the detachment if the ship no longer was in service the detachment like the sailors would be reassigned as needed which could be another ship the Yard or even 8th and I. Much like a company of army regulars once it had been disbanded. No expert but this is my understanding from my reading.
    Brian Schwatka
    Co. K 3rd US Regulars
    "Buffsticks"

Comment

If the Navy History and Heritage Command doesn't have the information

You might want to try the Marine Corps History Division
      Kimberly Schwatka
      Independent Mess

Comment

Dave Sullivan, the administrator of the Company of Military Historians, is the expert on Marine history. Go post the question at the CMH website.
        GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
        High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

David M. Sullivan covers the Marine Guard at Mobile Bay in 'The United States Marine Corps in the Civil War - The Final Year'. He documents that the Marine Guard were aboard 13 of the 31 vessels of Farragut's squadren. The USS Galena is a member of the squadren and is paired with the USS Oneida in the run past Ft. Morgan. It is not among the 13 listed.

Mike Stein
          Mike Stein
          Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Working...
          X