Achilles Whitlocke Hoge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achilles Whitlocke Hoge.

I will be portraying a soldier of the 20th va. co. g next weekend for a ghost tour here at Hampden Sydney College.

Achilles Whitlocke Hoge was a student here at the college in the time of the outbreak of the war and he served with the " Hampden Sydney Boys," a company formed of the students from the school, with the college president serving as the captain of the unit.

They drilled here on campus, and then left for richmond in early june and eventually made it out to staunton, where they served under John Pegram at the battle of Rich Mountain. There they suffered a defeat, and the majority were taken prisoner and then parolled by McLellan on the terms that they return to their studies at the college.

A.W. Hoge managed to escape and returned here and left in order to return home and join a unit there, just as most of the rest of the Hampden Sydney boys did.

I think it will be a very cool experience portraying a man who went here and served in the unit formed by the college, where i am attending now.

Mike Turner.
Working...
X