Ben Butler's "Woman Order"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Butler's "Woman Order"

I am gathering materials for a college paper on Gen. Butler's highly controversial General Order No. 28, which basically threatened the women of New Orleans with gang-rape. I have found some good sources, including Butler's own writings and some modern books by Chester G. Hearn and others. I am wondering if any of you could point me toward primary sources by other people at the time--soldiers, civilians, newspaper editors, ect. Thanks.
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Re: Ben Butler's "Woman Order"

Gang rape?!

The General Order basically stated that any woman that sneers at the US flag or insults a Federal soldier will be treated as a woman of the night and thrown into jail.
    Bill Backus

Comment

Lets start with the order itself as it was written.....

General Orders, No. 28 (Butler's Woman Order)

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XV [S# 21]
      Union Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In West Florida, Southern Alabama, Southern Mississippi, And Louisiana From May 12, 1862, To May 14, 1863: And In Texas, New Mexico, And Arizona From September 20, 1862, To May 14, 1863.--#1

General Orders, No. 28.

HDQRS. DEPARTMENT OF THE GULF,
      New Orleans, May 15, 1862.

As the officers and soldiers of the United States have been subject to repeated insults from the women (calling themselves ladies) of New Orleans in return for the most scrupulous non-interference and courtesy on our part, it is ordered that hereafter when any female shall by word, gesture, or movement insult or show contempt for any officer or soldier of the United States she shall be regarded and held liable to be treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation.

By command of Major-General Butler:

GEO. C. STRONG,
      Assistant Adjutant-General and Chief of Staff.

Now according to the Source: "Historical Times Encyclopedia of the Civil War" Edited by Patricia L. Faust...
      ... Except for a few isolated incidents, the insults stopped abruptly when the women learned they would be treated as common whores for demeaning a man wearing a U.S. army uniform. A few who persisted were arrested and imprisoned on Ship Island, notably Mrs. Philip Philips, who was confined from 30 June until mid-September for laughing when the funeral procession of a Federal officer was passing her house.
      The "Woman's Order" provoked criticism throughout the Confederacy and in Europe from people who considered his proclamation an unpardonable affront to womanhood. In defense of the order he emphasized the restraint his soldiers had shown civilians in New Orleans. Nevertheless, the infamous order excited indignation and personal animosity toward Butler. Many felt his nickname, "Beast" Butler, was well deserved.
      Immediately upon learning of General Orders No. 28, John T. Monroe, Mayor of New Orleans, wrote a scathing letter to General Butler decrying the order. Strangely, almost as soon as it was written, Monroe retracted it and issued an apology. However, one who did not issue an apology was Jefferson Davis. President Davis issued a "Proclamation" branding Butler and his officers as nothing more than outlaws that would be hanged if captured.

Below are the correspondence between General Butler and Mayor Monroe after the General order was made..........

Benjamin F. Butler and John T. Monroe Correspondence

STATE OF LOUISIANA, MAYORALTY OF NEW ORLEANS,
      City Hall, May 16, 1862.

Maj. Gen. BENJAMIN F. BUTLER,
      Commanding U. S. Forces:

SIR: Your General Orders, No. 28, of date 15th instant, which reads as follows--

As the officers and soldiers of the United States have been subject to repeated insults from the women (calling themselves ladies) of New Orleans, in return for the most scrupulous non-interference and courtesy on our part, it is ordered that hereafter when any female shall, by word, gesture, or movement, insult or show contempt for any officer or soldier of the United States, she shall be regarded and held liable to be treated as a woman of the town, plying her avocation--

is of a character so extraordinary and astounding that I cannot, holding the office of chief magistrate of this city, chargeable with its peace and dignity, suffer it to be promulgated in our presence without protesting against the threat it contains, which has already aroused the passions of our people, and must exasperate them to a degree beyond control. Your officers and soldiers are permitted, by the terms of this order, to place any construction they may please upon the conduct of our wives and daughters, and upon such construction to offer them atrocious insults. The peace of the city and safety of your officers and soldiers from harm and insult have, I affirm, been successfully secured to an extent enabling them to move through our streets almost unnoticed, according to the understanding and agreement entered into between yourself and the city authorities. I did not, however, anticipate a war upon women and children, who, so far as I am aware, have only manifested their displeasure at the occupation of their city by those whom they believe to be their enemies, and will never undertake to be responsible for the peace of New Orleans while such an edict, which infuriates our citizens, remains in force. To give a license to the officers and soldiers of your command to commit outrages such as are indicated in your order upon defenseless women is, in my judgment, a reproach to the civilization, not to say the Christianity, of the age, in whose name I make this protest.

I am, sir, your obedient servant,
      JOHN T. MONROE,
      Mayor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAY 16, 1862.

General BUTLER:

This communication having been sent under a mistake of fact, and being improper in language, I desire to apologize for the same and to withdraw it.

JOHN T. MONROE,
      Mayor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAYORALTY OF NEW ORLEANS,
      City Hall, May 16, 1862.

Major-General BUTLER:

SIR: Having misunderstood you yesterday in relation to your General Orders, No. 28, I wish to withdraw the indorsement I made on the letter addressed to you yesterday. Please deliver the letter to my secretary, Mr. Duncan, who will hand you this note.

Your obedient servant,
      JOHN T. MONROE,
      Mayor.

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE GULF,
      New Orleans, May 16, 1862.

JOHN T. MONROE:

SIR: There can be, there has been, no room for misunderstanding of General Orders, No. 28. No lady will take any notice of a strange gentleman, and a fortiori of stranger simply, in such form as to attract attention. Common women do. Therefore, whatever woman, lady, or mistress, gentle or simple, who by gesture, look, or word insults, shows contempt for (thus attracting to herself the notice of) my officers and soldiers, will be deemed to act as becomes her vocation as a common woman, and will be liable to be treated accordingly. This was most fully explained to you at my office. I shall not abate, as I have not abated, a single word of that order. It was well considered. If obeyed, will protect the true and modest woman from all possible insult. The others will take care of themselves. You can publish your letter if you publish this note and your apology.

Respectfully,
      B.F. BUTLER.
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

"HDQRS. DEPARTMENT OF THE GULF

New Orleans, May 15, 1862.

As the officers and soldiers of the United States have been subject to repeated insults from the women (calling themselves ladies) of New Orleans in return for the most scrupulous non-interference and courtesy on our part, it is ordered that hereafter when any female shall by word, gesture, or movement insult or show contempt for any officer or soldier of the United States she shall be regarded and held liable to be treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation.

By command of Major-General Butler:

GEO. C. STRONG,
        Assistant Adjutant-General and Chief of Staff."

As far as the answer to the original question, Clara Solomon's diary mentions this, and on May 17, 1862, she says "...…I cannot express to you the indignation this thing awakened, my feelings are akin to a lady, who speaking of the subject, said "I cannot tell you how I feel or what I think". I hear that the men were perfectly exasperated for you know the insult offered to us is also to them. The cowardly wretches! to notice the insults of ladies! But the news will get abroad & then we shall be praised for our actions. They will see the spirit of our women, aged, even children, but they dare not notice their insults. And how did they expect to be treated. Can a woman, a Southern woman, come in contact with one of them & allow her countenance to retain its wonted composure. Will not the scornful feelings in our hearts there find utterance. They may control our actions, but looks, they never can.

Nothing was thought of in school, but it, & there was also some unusual excitement, as it is rumored that it is their intention to pay a visit to the School, & they are daily looked for. The High School was to be closed on the morrow [Jefferson Davis had ordered a fast day], but I think it is injudicious to so totally disregard But.'s [Butler's] orders. True, Davis is superior to him, but we, we are the captured in a captive city & as servile to them as is the slave to his master. Oh! how long will, can this state of things exist?…. "

Colleen Formby
        [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
        [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
        [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by bAcK88 View Post
          Gang rape?!

The General Order basically stated that any woman that sneers at the US flag or insults a Federal soldier will be treated as a woman of the night and thrown into jail.
          In the overactive mind of a college student, it was easy to read "held liable to be treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation" as a threat to actually make her perform the avocation, but I can see how it could be interpreted to mean giving them the same punishment awarded to prostitutes. Of course, it normally would go without saying--but worth pointing out to any Butler haters among us--that if we read the Order the way I did, it was meant to scare the unruly women, and they were not actually in danger of mass rape.

Thanks to all for your quick replies.
          Last edited by FortyRounder; 09-29-2009, 11:59 PM.
          Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

You might want to check out what Drew Faust has to say about it in her book Mothers of Invention Another [secondary] source that might be useful is Lee Anne Whites' book on Gender and the Civil War [forgot the title]

Also check out all the NO papers, although they'd offer up a northern perspective--of course you're already probably familiar with Butler's Book--can't think of any other possible primary sources right now.

Good luck.
            Christopher Stacey
            Member -- Independent Rifles
            Lil' Sherm's Maurader dreaming about the land of exploding rocks and Coffee with Milk and Honey....

Comment

Working...
            X