Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporal Si Klegg and His "Pard"

Fellows,

I've been searching for a reasonably priced copy of Wilbur Fisk's Corporal Si Klegg and His "Pard" for some time now, but found the only versions available to be an original, or the 1997 J. Henry Publishing edition for $35.00. I've literally looked in every antique and used book store I've been in for several years. My wait is over now! There is a brand new edition from the University of Nebraska Press that just came out a few months ago, and is selling on Amazon.com for 18.96. My blessed wife suprised me with a copy last night, and made me the happiest man in the world! It appears to be a facsimile reprint with all of the original illustrations. An excellent deal for a wonderful book written by a veteran of the Union ranks. I'm on page 37 as we speak :tounge_sm
    Yours, &c
    Adam Clark
    -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
    Connor Clune

Re: Corporal Si Klegg and His "Pard"

Another option for those on a budget or need a good distraction at work can also read the book for free via google books here:

Regards,
    -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
    93rd New York Coffee Cooler
    [I]
    "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
    [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

For less than $20 Corporal Si Klegg is worth having in your collection. While the characters are not historic individuals but composites the information is
      still vividly presented, and it is well written.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

The author is Wilbur Hinman not Fisk. Hinman was an officer in the 65th OVI. In addition to writing Si Klegg, he also compiled the regimental history of the 64th OVI, 65th OVI, 6th OVLA and McLaughlin Squadron of Ohio Cavalry...known as the Sherman Brigade. Named not for Uncle Billy but for his brother Sen. John Sherman who initiated raising the 4 units in 1861.

Kent Dorr
        "Devil's Own Mess"

Comment

Great book and one I recommend to new guys joining the hobby.
          Also Wilbur Fiske was with the 2nd VT and his book is "Hard Marching Everyday".. another great compilation of letters.

His details about picket duty and other mundane tasks are great information.
          Greg Bullock
          [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
          Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by 64OVI View Post
            The author is Wilbur Hinman not Fisk. Hinman was an officer in the 65th OVI. In addition to writing Si Klegg, he also compiled the regimental history of the 64th OVI, 65th OVI, 6th OVLA and McLaughlin Squadron of Ohio Cavalry...known as the Sherman Brigade. Named not for Uncle Billy but for his brother Sen. John Sherman who initiated raising the 4 units in 1861.

Kent Dorr
            "Devil's Own Mess"
            Oh shoot... I knew that, and even had the book in front of me. I don't know where I pulled out "Fisk" How embarasing! :confused_
            Yours, &c
            Adam Clark
            -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
            Connor Clune

Comment

A few years ago I was REAL lucky to score an original 1st edition for $8. bucks at an antique store. Just outside of Gettysburg no less! Great book! To any fresh fish I would definitely recommend it. "Hardtack and Coffee' and ' Co. Aytch' are also a must
              Pvt. Jeff Litchfield
              22nd Mass. Vol. Infantry
              20th South Carolina Vol. Infantry
              "Death, or an Honorable Life" (Mass 43rd- The Tiger Regiment)

Comment

The story of the sherman brigade

THE STORY OF THE SHERMAN BRIGADE by Wilbur F. Hinman

It is well worth the 60 bucks they are asking for it.

Tommy Jackson
                Critter Co.

Comment

Many years ago, if I recall correctly, Cal Kinzer (who may still be on this forum) wrote an article in the original Camp Chase Gazette (published by Bill Keitz) regarding the history of the original Hinsman "Si Klegg" and subsequent volumes published by "copycat" authors. For example, Si Klegg: Thru the Stone River Campaign and in Winter Quarters at Murfreesboro. According to the cover, John McElroy was the author and it was published by the National Tribune in Washington, D.C. as "Book No. 2.) The copy I have is the 2nd edition copywrited in 1910. A book search on Google shows this book along with some others by McElroy as well.

Hope this helps
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
                  [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

For anyone interested in the letters of Wilbur Fisk of the 2nd Vermont, this is a great book with a lot of original letters from Wilbur and others. Very well done by the author and an interesting read.
                    The Second Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 1861-1865 by
                    McFarland Publishers
                    Jeff Lawson
                    2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

Working...
                    X