Volunteer Street Fight In Baltimore, 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer Street Fight In Baltimore, 1861

This was mentioned on a print I found online.

It peaked my interest but I cant find any information on the event.

Can anyone elaborate?
    Steven Flibotte
    Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
    Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Re: Volunteer Street Fight In Baltimore, 1861

There should be lots of things about it online. Search for stuff like Baltimore riot 1861 or Pratt Street riot. Big excitement. Long story short, US troops had to change cars in Baltimore, got mugged. I'd love to see a reenactment of it. Here's the issue of Harper's Weekly that talked about it.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

Any general text on the Civil War will have information on the 6th Massachusetts (Lord, that spelling always looks wrong!) and its epic and deadly march through secessionist mobs in Baltimore 19 April, '61. At the time Baltimore was a funnel through which one pretty-much had to go to enter Washington City from the northeast. Railroads did not connect there; one dismounted one, traversed a few blocks, and mounted another train. The Massachusetts boys were the first significant armed force to garrison Washington after Sumter. Lincoln was feeling rather lonely prior to their arrival.
      David Fox

Comment

A reenactment of the riot will require foam rocks and bricks, nerf sticks and rubber bayonets.
        GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
        High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

"Maryland Voices of the Civil War" by Mitchell devotes several chapters to the Baltimore/Pratt Street Riots. They have pulled together various newspaper accounts, diary/journal accounts, official reports, personal letters detailing the events and for the most part allow the document snippets themselves to tell the story... rather than an author going on ad nauseum on how to interpret the snippet being presented. Also voice is given to both "sides" as well as the "torn". It really is an excellent reference.
          -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Working...
          X