Paid Confederate agents promoted slavery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid Confederate agents promoted slavery

With all the supposed tightening of finances by the Confederacy by mid-war, it seems paying agents to defend slavery overseas came before shoes for the troops -- during a war claimed not to be about slavery! As with all modern books on the Civil War, take it with a grain of salt, it's not my view so please refrain from the personal stuff. I'm pretty sure it's ok to discuss new material written about our subject, CW era. This one excerpted here:

“It was no coincidence that a new society to study mankind was formed during the Civil War, and even less that the Confederacy had its paid agents inside. The Anthropological Society of London was founded in 1863, within weeks of Lincoln’s emancipation proclamation...

... The whipper-in for the new party...James Hunt...favored the issues critical to Knox and Types of Mankind; racial anatomy and ranking - and, with the war waging in America, the ‘Negro’s place’ was paramount. The majority of these self-styled ‘anthropologists’ shared... abhorrence of a common descent...the Society set itself the object to ‘record all deviations from the human standard’34. That standard was the white man...

...Not only did the Anthropologicals put Nott on their honorary fellowships rolls 35 ...but they had his friend Henry Hotze, a Confederate agent, permanently on the the Council...This pro-slavery advocate was actually paid to promote the South’s benevolent view of their ‘peculiar institution’. He had been recruited by the Confederate secret service and was bankrolled by the Confederate government in Richmond...Briefed to swing London opinion during the war, he put Nott and Glidden’s Types of Mankind and Indigenous Races into the Anthropologicals’ new library 36, paid Confederates inside the society (there were three on the Council alone)37, and swayed articles and pronouncements...printed and delivered thousands of sympathetic books and pamphlets, and fly-posted Confederate flags (joined to the British ensign) over street walls and railway stations.”

- pgs. 332, 333 excerpts from the chapter Cannibals and the Confederacy in London, in the 2009 book entitled Darwin’s Sacred Cause -How a hatred of slavery shaped Darwin’s views on human evolution. Adrian Desmond & James Moore. (Publisher info www.hmhbooks.com)

I apologize for trimming (the ... parts), but the entire page of copy is just too much to place here and trust anyone interested can see the entire page for themselves. I personally wasn't swayed by the authors' overall premise, but they did document their factoids so those are a valid topic for us.

Comments?

Dan Wykes
    Fat Neck Mess
    Last edited by Danny; 11-09-2009, 08:45 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Re: Paid Confederate agents promoted slavery

Dear Dan,
    It seems the Confederacy failed any way so go practice your scales. You know this abolitionist talk hurts the Secesh feelings. This superiority issue has been going on since the Hebrews won the Canaan Campaign.
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    Dave Corbett

Comment

Another good read on the subject of slavery and race is Complicity: How the North Promoted, Prolonged, and Profited from Slavery. Written by Anne Farrow, Joel Lang, and Jenifer Frank of the Hartford Courant. What started out as research into the role of slavery in Connecticut and the Courant's role in slavery, turned into research into the role played by all of the northern states. The authors say:

"WHAT WAS TRUE OF CONNECTICUT TURNED OUT TO BE OVERWHELMINGLY (their emphasis) true of the entire North. Most of what you'll read here was gleaned from older, often out-of-print texts, and from period newspapers. largely in Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts. We are journalists, not scholars, and want to share what surprised, and even shocked, the three of us. We have all grown up, attended schools, and worked in Northern states, from Maine to Maryland. We thought we knew our home. We thought we knew our country. We were wrong."

It's nice to see a book such as this, written by someone other than a southerner, for Southerners know all too well the sins of their past and, as usual, are often reminded of this. Oddly enough Nott had his northern counterpart in Philadelphia physician Samuel George Morton who had achieved international fame for his skull research that seemed to prove blacks were mentally inferior to whites. "Types of Mankind" was based on his work.

A great book for that well rounded education on slavery and race in America.

Joe Mode
      Joe Mode

Comment

Cornerstone speech.

Delivered by newly elected/appointed C.S. Vice President, Alexander H. Stephens on Mar. 21, 1861. Read the whole thing here: http://teachingamericanhistory.org/l...cumentprint=76

or the cliff notes version here:

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails."

Now, who exactly says the war was not fought over slavery? Not Alexander Stephens.

-Randall Pierson

Comment

Re: Cornerstone speech.

Originally posted by rpierson View Post

Now, who exactly says the war was not fought over slavery? Not Alexander Stephens.

-Randall Pierson
          Oh, "Dan'l" knows all about Alexander Stephens and the Cornerstone speech. He's posted many times on that already.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          -- during a war claimed not to be about slavery!
          This is just the little de rigueur "Dan'l" jab you'll find in all his posts. It helps rile people up and get him more attention.
          Last edited by Old Cremona; 11-10-2009, 06:11 AM. Reason: the letter u
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

From Wiki: "The longest portion of the speech outlined how this constitution eliminated the tariff and prohibited the central government from spending on internal improvements. The reasoning was on a States Rights argument with the Georgia Railroad as a first example. Stephens believed that the new country would have a clear delineation between federal and state responsibilities, and took the position similar to that of South Carolina during the nullification crisis that the federal government should not pay for internal improvements. Stephens believed that the new country would have a clear delineation between federal and state responsibilities, and took the position similar to that of South Carolina during the nullification crisis that the federal government should not pay for internal improvements."

From Wiki: "Stephens, in effect, accuses the North of slavemongering in its attempt to retain the border states for their tax revenues derived from slavery." (Another reason to read Complicity)

So if the war, in part, was about slavery I say so what. Most other nations had the pleasure of solving their question of slavery through gradual emancipation with compensation. Something Lincoln himself suggested. Though wrong, the view that blacks were inferior to whites was a broadly held belief in much of the world, not an idea invented in the south.

Joe Mode
            Last edited by JimKindred; 11-10-2009, 09:14 AM. Reason: Removed personal modern politics from post.
            Joe Mode

Comment

Chris,

Sorry, didn't mean to imply these were my own words, but did intend to site the reference, but forgot. Have corrected that oversight. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Yes, no one cares to discuss the legal standing of slavery. Also, if Hotze was a propagandist for the Confederacy, how much more so was Uncle Tom's Cabin and Stowe?

Joe Mode
              Last edited by Crockett; 11-10-2009, 09:00 AM.
              Joe Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                Chris,

no one cares to discuss the legal standing of slavery.
                Actually, look into the social groups section of the forum. There is a crew of folks called the "secession debators" that are willing to discuss slavery at length in a period mannor. It makes for a neat event/living history.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Luke,

Didn't necessarily mean here on the AC, but the public/media/centers for higher learning in general.

Joe Mode
                  Joe Mode

Comment

Joe,
                    Good point and you're correct in saying that. We think the same thing. I was using the post as a plug for our social group! We recently hosted an event at a University. We called it a secession rally and were recreating the town meeting to determine whether or not our city would support secession in Tennessee or would go with East Tennessee and split from the state. It was a great time for us but not too many people attended. The ones that did seemed to really get involved.
                    Last edited by lukegilly13; 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM.
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

I see this thread getting shut down anytime now if it turns into another "was the war over slavery" thread or a "lets bash the south" thread or even a "Daniel against the AC thread".
                      Getting back to the original post,

"With all the supposed tightening of finances by the Confederacy by mid-war, it seems paying agents to defend slavery overseas came before shoes for the troops -- during a war claimed not to be about slavery!"

Paying agents to defend slavery overseas......
                      Is it entirely uncommon to see a government try to pull support to their cause in the scrap to develop allies?
                      You are right that the confederacy did not have the necessary means to properly cloth their troops...but I think it would be better phrased as:
                      The confederacy had money to invest in developing allies abroad in an attempt to loosen the noose of the blockade and gain troop support (both physical and financial) from European countries and this was so expensive that they could not properly equip their troops.
                      Just my interp.
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilo View Post
                        Dear Dan, It seems the Confederacy failed any way so go practice your scales. You know this abolitionist talk hurts the Secesh feelings. This superiority issue has been going on since the Hebrews won the Canaan Campaign.
                        all for the old flag, David Corbett
                        Dave - My understanding is every Secesh but a few were dead by the 1930s or so - no hurting their feelings.

I don't agree with the general premise of the book, but the factoid about what Confederate agents in London were paid to do is interesting nonetheless.

I feel the Abolitionists, John Brown in particular, were a vile lot of rabble-rousers and terrorists that disingenuously incited a war, but they of course are long dead as well.

Dan Wykes
                        Fat Neck Mess
                        Last edited by Danny; 11-10-2009, 09:42 PM.
                        Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow
                          Looks like a bunch of Adrian Desmond & James Moore's words in 2009 and nothing from the period in support...
                          The little numbers in the quote are cited to period sources listed in the back of the book.

Dan Wykes
                          Fat Neck Mess
                          Last edited by Danny; 11-10-2009, 07:17 PM.
                          Danny Wykes

Comment

Re: Cornerstone speech.

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
                            ...This is just the little de rigueur "Dan'l" jab you'll find in all his posts... It helps rile people up and get him more attention.
                            I didn't intend that; sorry that anyone would see it that way.

The rehash of the Stevens/slavery view is not helpful here -- another topic. As for this topic, it's interesting about what Confederate agents were doing and there's nothing wrong with pointing out the fact.

Sometimes a discussion is just a discussion.

Dan Wykes
                            Last edited by Danny; 11-10-2009, 09:45 PM.
                            Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                              The little numbers in the quote are cited to period sources listed in the back of the book.

Dan Wykes
                              Fat Neck Mess
                              Danny,
                              Since you apparently have the book at hand (and we don't), would you be so kind as to list the sources cited by footnote numbers 34-37 of the text you quoted in the original post?

Thank you.
                              [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                              John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X