X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is a Gentleman

Sir and Ma'am,

Columbus, Ga. Enquirer, May 15, 1860.

"Who is a Gentleman-- A gentleman is not merely a person acquainted with certain forms of conventionality's of life, easy and self-possessed in society, able to speak, and act, and move through the world without awkwardness, free from habits which are vulgar and in bad taste. A gentleman is something beyond this. At the base of all his ease and refinement, and tact and power of pleasing, is the same spirit which lies at the root of every christian virtue.---It is the thoughtful desire of doing in every instance to others as he would that others should do unto him. He is constantly thinking, not indeed how he may give pleasure to others for the mere sense of pleasing, but how he can show them respect, how he may avoid hurting their feelings. When he is in society he scrupulously ascertains the position of every one with whom he is brought in contact, that he may give to each his due honor. He studies how to avoid touching upon any subject which may call up a disagreeable or offensive association. A gentleman never alludes to, ever appears conscious of any personal defect, bodily deformity, inferiority of talent, of rank or reputation, in the persons in whose society he is placed. He never assumes any superiority---never ridicules, never boasts, never makes a display of his own powers, or rank, or advantages; never indulges in habits which may be offensive to others".

A brief view of an 1860's value judgement, IMHO, yet having relevance to first person impression and discussion.

My 2 cents anyway.

Thanks Ms. Betts for these links.
    Last edited by yeoman; 11-14-2009, 10:46 PM. Reason: wording
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Who is a Gentleman

Mel, that was fantastic. Thanks for posting it.

I recall reading somewhere that the short definition of a gentleman was simply "Someone who always makes those around him feel at ease".

These days, it almost seems like the term "gentleman" is defined by what a man doesn't do, or how he doesn't act instead. A sign of the times, I guess....
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Re: Who is a Gentleman

Rich, thanks for your comment.
      Reading the article the first time I felt these words were not restricted to a particular time or date.
      They're as effective and honorable today as 1860.
      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
      X