Southern Claims Commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Claims Commission

I recently found out that I had an ancestor who filed a claim with the Southern Claims Commission after the war. The claim was accepted, which indicates that he stayed loyal to the Union. I've had no luck trying to find out where in the National Archives to go to find a copy of his claim. I called them, and they sent me a 30+ year old pamphlet with no current information on getting a copy of a claim. Anybody ever had any luck researching the Southern Claims Commission?
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Southern Claims Commission

Carl,

I'm familiar with the Southern Claims Commission files but have never researched them myself. However, an intern working in my office a few years ago spent quite a bit of time digging through these files. According to her notes, case files were transferred to the Department of the Treasury. In 1999, Recrod Group 217 (RG 217, Accounting Officers of the Department of the Treasury) contained the case files and was located at Archives II in College Park, Maryland. The files have not been microfilmed, to my knowledge, and therefore requesting copies may be a little tough. The best thing to do would be to visit the archives in person. If that's not possible, give Archives II a call them at 301-837-0482.

National Archives and Records Administration

I hope this helps.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
    X