"A baby found on the battlefield of the Hatchie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A baby found on the battlefield of the Hatchie"

American Citizen [Canton Mississippi], December 12, 1862.

Extract of a letter from a private in the 14th Illinois Regiment: Bolivar Tenn. Nov. 10..

Let me relate to you a touching little incident, that will doubtless strike you a little strange. I thought it strange when I witnessed it; My comrades thought it "passing strange" if not wonderful. At the battle of Hatchie, when the conflict was waging fiercest, upon advancing midway between the contending forces, we found, what do you think?.Not a masked battery---not an insidious trap, inviting but to destroy---not any visible engine of death---but a sweet little blue eyed baby, fresh from the womb of the mother that groaned and gave it birth. Sweet little thing, as I saw it there, hugging the cold earth, its only bed---the little tear on its cheek, "That nature bade it weep, turned an ice-drop sparkling in the morning beam".
    Unalarmed 'mid the awful confusion of that tearful battle, with the missiles of death lying about it, and crowding close upon existence, yet unhurt, it seemed a wonderful verification of the declaration, "Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings I will ordain wisdom." That little "child of war," as it lay in its miraculous safety, seemed to say to me those words of profound instruction, "My helplessness and innocence appealed to God, and he preserved me in the midst of this wrecking carnage. If you will make your plain to Heaven, God will preserve your poor bleeding country."
    Little child of destiny, born amid the flash of musketry, the thunder of cannons, and the clash of arms, I will watch your course through life, and witness whether an existence so auspiciously begun, will pass by the masses unnoticed, and end without leaving a name "damned to everlasting fame!" Who would suppose that in the wild fierce battle of the Hatchie, where the field was strewn with the dead, and the shrieks and groans of the wounded rent the heavens with agony, a great army would pause in the thickest of the conflict to save harmless a helpless child? Yet the brave 14th that never yet has quailed in battle, did pause, and the officer of the regiment ordered our "little baby" to be carried to our headquarters and be tenderly cared for.
    I remember having read somewhere in Grecian history something like the one I have related. A little child was found on the battlefield, and by an infuriated soldiery trampled in the dust. After the battle the victorious general said: "But for the blood of the little child that mars it, our victory would be complete." Thank God, the blood of no little child mars our victory.
    The next day after the battle " our babe" was brought before the 14th, and unanimously adopted "child of the regiment." Three or four days later, strange as it may seem, a poor heart stricken, poverty pinched mother, came searching the battle field in search of her child. My dear, imagine if you can the wild exclamation of thanksgiving that burst from that poor woman's heart, when informed that her child had been rescued, and with a mother's tenderness cared for. I saw the mother receive her child, heard her brief prayer for the soldiers who had saved it, and, with the blessings of a thousand men following her and hers, she took away "Our little baby---Little blue eyed, laughing baby."

Thanks to Vicki Betts.

Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: "A baby found on the battlefield of the Hatchie"

Wow! A genuine La fille du Regiment.
    GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
    High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Beautiful story. I read this duringmy college history class today. It brought almost a tear to our teachers eye.

Thanks for posting this!
      Christian Jebb

(Double D)

Comment

Yes sir Christian, I found the story heart lifting myself.
        Looking a bit further I've come upon Gen. Veatch's congratulatory order.

The Battle of the Hatchie.
        Headquarters Second Brigade, Fourth Division, Bolivar, Tenn., Thursday Oct. 9, 1862.

The General is desirous to congratulate the troops of his command on the brilliant victory at the battle of the Hatchie.
        On no field, since the war began, has better fighting been done. The forces of the enemy, greatly superior in numbers, were posted in the very strongest positions, and commanded by those veteran rebel Generals, Van Dorn and Price.
        You met them; you fought them; you drove them; you defeated and routed them, capturing a battery and hundreds of prisoners. You compelled them to seek shelter on the east side of the Hatchie. Here the First Brigade came to your support, and with Hurlbut's Fighting Fourth Division united, you drove them again from their strongholds, and forced them to hasty retreat!
        While we rejoice in victory, we regret the loss of many brave men. Let us honor the memory of our fallen comrades, and transmit to their friends the story of their noble deeds.
        The wounded who survive, will carry their battle scars, which will speak more eloquently for their bravery and daring than any words can do.
        A battery of four splendid brass field-pieces, captured by this brigade, has been entrusted to your keeping by the Major-General commanding the division. These pieces--manufactured in the rebel workshops--will be made to do service for the Union in the hands of Bolton and Burnap.
        Officers and men of the Second Brigade, you have the confidence of your Generals, and the respect and esteem of all loyal citizens. Let your future good conduct maintain the high reputation you have gained.
        Remember that you belong to Hurlbut's Fighting Fourth Division. That what he commands, you will obey; what he orders, you will execute; where he leads, you will follow, with full confidence of honor and victory.

By order of Brig.-Gen.J.C.Veatch.

Live news, investigations, opinion, photos and video by the journalists of The New York Times from more than 150 countries around the world. Subscribe for coverage of U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, science, health, arts, sports and more.

CWPT http://civilwar.org/battlefields/dav...s-bridge-2009/
        Last edited by yeoman; 12-20-2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: CWPT link
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

The Battle of Hatchie Bridge was a marginal Union victory, who sustained more casualties, notwithstanding prisoners. Grant was torqued over the lost opportunity to smash the retreating Confederate forces who survived to form the initial contingent of the Vicksburg defenses.

From the O.R., Series I, Volume 27, Part 1, pages 385-392.

Report of Maj. Gen. Sterling Price, C.S. Army, commanding Army of the West, including engagement at Hatchie Bridge and operations September 27 - October 5.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE WEST,

Holly Springs, Miss., October 20, 1862.

....On the morning of the 5th instant, we resumed the march in the direction of Pocahontas, my command moving by divisions, Maury’s in front, each in rear of its ordnance and supply train, except Moore’s brigade, which constituted the advance guard. After crossing the Tuscumbia Moore’s brigade was hurried forward to protect Davis’ Bridge across the Hatchie, which was threatened by an advance of the enemy. It being found that the enemy was in force, the remainder of Maury’s division was ordered forward, and finally I was ordered to move up the whole of my command. Moore’s brigade, with a section of the Saint Louis Battery and Sengstak’s battery, were thrown across the Hatchie, but the enemy having possession of the heights commanding the crossing, as well as the position in which these troops were placed, and it being found that he was in very heavy force, it was deemed advisable to cross the Hatchie by another road, and these troops were withdrawn after serious loss to the east side of the Hatchie, where, being joined by Cabell’s and Phifer’s brigades, and, assisted by the batteries of McNally, Hogg, Landis, and Tobin, they effectually checked the advance of the enemy. Green’s division, which had been delayed by passing the wagon train that had been parked near the Tuscumbia, arriving on the ground, was formed in line of battle, but the enemy making no further effort to advance the whole of my command were moved off by another route, General Lovell’s command being in our rear. This was our last engagement with the enemy.

.......The history of this war contains no bloodier page perhaps than that which will record this fiercely contested battle. The strongest expressions fall short of my admiration of the gallant conduct of the officers and men under my command. Words cannot add luster to the fame they have acquired through deeds of noble daring which, living through future time, will shed about every man, officer, and soldier who stood to his arms through this struggle a halo of glory as imperishable as it is brilliant. They have won to their sisters and daughters the distinguished honor, set before them by a general of their love and admiration upon the event of an impending battle upon the same field, of the proud exclamation, “My brother, father, was at the great battle of Corinth.”

The bloodiest record of this battle is to come. The long list of the gallant dead upon this field will carry sorrow to the hearth-stone of many a noble champion of our cause, as it does to the hearts of those who are to avenge them. A nation mourns their loss while it cherishes the story of their glorious death, pointing out to their associate officers in this mighty struggle for liberty the pathway to victory and honor. They will live ever in the hearts of the admiring people of the Government for the establishment of which they have given their lives.

I cannot close this report without recognizing the eminent services and valuable assistance of Brigadier-Generals Maury, Hébert (whose services I regret to have lost on the morning of the 4th by reason of his illness), and Green, commanding divisions. I bear willing testimony to the admirable coolness, undaunted courage, and military skill of these officers in disposing their respective commands and in executing their orders. Through them I transmit to Brigadier-General Moore and acting Brigadier-Generals Cabell, Phifer, Gates, and Colbert my high appreciation of their efficient services on the field. Their skill in maneuvering their troops and promptness and gallantry in leading them through the most desperate conflicts elicit my highest admiration; and of my troops as a body I can say no juster or more complimentary words than that they have sustained and deepened and widened their reputation for exalted patriotism and determined valor.

To my personal staff I return my thanks for their promptness in the delivery of my orders and their gallant bearing on the field.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

STERLING PRICE,

Major-General.

MAJ. M.M. KIMMEL,

Assistant Adjutant-General, Army of West Tennessee.
          Last edited by Auld Pelty; 12-20-2009, 07:20 PM.
          Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
          Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
          X