1st Bull Run or Manasas militia units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Bull Run or Manasas militia units

I was reading up on the battle a few years ago and found out that most units at the first major battle of the war actually were just 90 day militia. I was wondering if any one knew of any volunteer regiments that were enlisted for a longer period of time fought at Manasas? If so who were they? and for how long were they enlisted? Also any information about militia units that fought at the battle becoming volunteer units would be welcomed.

Re: 1st Bull Run or Manasas militia units

The 2nd Wisconsin was a three year regiment. It was formed as a 90-day unit, but when Lincoln Administration stopped taking the three-month organizations, it enlisted as a group for three years. The 2nd Wisconsin men always believed they were the first three-year regiment to reach Washington in the period just before Bull Run, which they called Bull's Run and sometimes even "Big Run." They were outfitted in militia grey frock coats.
    Lance Herdegen
    Lance Herdegen

Comment

Originally posted by Monte5364 View Post
      I was reading up on the battle a few years ago and found out that most units at the first major battle of the war actually were just 90 day militia. I was wondering if any one knew of any volunteer regiments that were enlisted for a longer period of time fought at Manasas? If so who were they? and for how long were they enlisted? Also any information about militia units that fought at the battle becoming volunteer units would be welcomed.
      North and South? I recall that John Casler (33rd Va) talked a little about that in his book but you may not be interested.
      Thaddaeus Dolzall
      Liberty Hall Volunteers

We began to think that Ritchie Green did a very smart thing, when we left Richmond, to carry nothing in his knapsack but one paper collar and a plug of tobacco!

Comment

3rd Maine Infantry / Co. A (Bath City Greys) were longer than 90 day Unit
        Pvt. S.D. Henry
        Co. A 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
        "Bath City Greys"

Comment

1st Minnesota Vol. Infantry, 3 year unit
          Chris Birely

In memory of my GG Uncle, Pvt. John Thurston,
          7th Va Inf Co. I (Holcombe Guards), Kemper's Brigade, Pickett's Division,
          wounded and taken prisoner 3 July 1863.

Comment

The 14th Brooklyn had mustered in "for the war," with a story in the regimental history of some lone hold-outs who refused to go along with it.
            Marc A. Hermann
            Liberty Rifles.
            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Here is a great website from the New York State Military Museum which features info on all New York units, including articles on their extensive militia contribution in 1861.
              Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

I was under the impression that most of the C.S. units at Manassas had enlisted for 1 year terms that spring, I know this was the case for the Mississippi and South Carolina units that fought there. This caused problems the next spring when the units had to be reorganized and new officers elected under the terms of the Conscription Act.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Working...
                X