Ambrose Bierce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambrose Bierce

Are there any other Ambrose Bierce "fans" out here? After all, he is the American author who saw the most action in the Civil War and wrote about it afterwards, in poems, short stories, memoirs, and newspaper columns, therefore definitely taking part in remembering the war.
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Re: Ambrose Bierce

Most definitely! Bierce has been overlooked by many Civil War buffs for far too many years! His Devil's Dictionary is a great example of his sardonic humor and his depictions of the impact of the war upon the participants are outstanding!

J
    [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
    [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

Favorite author and taught in my Early American LIterature class. The kids seem to really like him, especially "Coupe De Grace" and "One of the Missing." His Picket's Mill story is awesome to read while walking the battlefield.

Steve Acker

Comment

His Shiloh accounts are literally haunting.

Scott Bumpus

Comment

Bierce has been a favorite of mine for more years than I care to count. Among other things, he lived in Washington, D.C. for quite awhile before his disappearance and, as of just a few years ago, all of the places he stayed at were still extant. I had great fun hunting them down one autumn and wondering just what had caused him to fall out with any given landlord. The squirrels of Washington seem to remember him, too, or in any case remain fond of gray haired men with hazelnuts in their pockets.

I could go on, and for better or worse have: http://washingtonart.com/beltway/bierce.html
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Excellent article. Is possible, may I use it in my Early American Literature class, when we cover Mr. Bierce?

Steve Acker
            English Teacher

Comment

Great writer, and his accounts of the war are unvarnished and sometimes very dark.
              None of the chest-pounding that was the veneer of so many post-war remembrances.
              Also enjoyed the movie on his last days (although it was largely speculative.) Gregory
              Peck was the perfect choice for the aged Ambrose.
              Your most obedient servant and comrade,
              James C. Schumann
              Mess #3
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Had to share this first stanza of his poem:

Title: General B.F. Butler
                Author: Ambrose Bierce

Thy flesh to earth, thy soul to God,
                We gave, O gallant brother;
                And o'er thy grave the awkward squad
                Fired into one another!
                Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                James C. Schumann
                Mess #3
                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Acker View Post
                  Excellent article. Is possible, may I use it in my Early American Literature class, when we cover Mr. Bierce?

Steve Acker
                  English Teacher
                  Sure, thanks.
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                    I could go on
                    Same here--writing my final thesis on 1st Lieutenant Bierce and his phantoms of a blood-stained period ...
                    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

"What I Saw of Shiloh" is riveting, and favorably mentions the Navy!
                      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
                      William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

Working...
                      X