"Beast" Butler in the Big Easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Beast" Butler in the Big Easy

I have recently written a college paper on General Benjamin Butler's controversial tenure as military governor in New Orleans. I'm still looking for information, and would be greatful if any of you remember reading letters or diaries from ordinary soldiers or civilians, or newspapers, which reference his time there, especially pertaining to General Order No. 28, the "Woman Order." Thanks!
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Re: "Beast" Butler in the Big Easy

Will, Didn't you already start a similiar thread? I know there was some sources posted in that one for you already. I am just curious if they revealed anything new for you. What have you found?

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Strangely enough I'd forgotten about that other thread. Well, I've certainly made a lot of progress since then--uncovering all kinds of books, newspapers, etc. Thanks.
      Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Will,
        Cast an eye on what old "Spoons" Butler had to say in his autobiography: http://books.google.com/books?id=0LI...age&q=&f=false .
        [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
        [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
        16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
        22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
        &
        [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
        4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Are you familiar with the story of Eugenia Levy Phillips? She was confined on Ship Island for several months by Butler for Laughing when the funeral procession for a Union soldier passed by her house. You can find some information on Mrs. Phillips here: http://hnn.us/blogs/comments/53451.html
          J. Thomas Giambrone, Esq.

Have History Books, Will Travel.

Comment

Thanks, Edwin. Butler's huge autobiography is very useful but also, as with any memoir, very revealing in what he left out!
            Will Hickox

Comment

The Philipps case became something of a cause celebre and was probably the most famous instance of a Confederate woman's defiance in New Orleans. Historian Alecia Long has recently pointed out that her actions occurred over a month after Butler issued the "Woman Order," demonstrating that it wasn't quite as successful in silencing the ladies as Butler claimed in his autobiography and elsewhere.
              Will Hickox

Comment

Gents,

On the subject of Butler, I always thought it worth noting that Gen. Taylor took the opportunity to speak well of him in his memoirs:

Persuaded that the Federal commander at New Orleans, General Benjamin F. Butler, was ignorant of the practices of his outlying detachments, I requested ex-Governor Wickliffe of Louisiana, a non-combatant, to visit that officer under a flag of truce and call his attention to the subject. Duty to the suffering population would force me to deal with perpetrators of such misdeeds as robbers rather than as soldiers. General Butler received Governor Wickliffe politely, invited him to dine, and listened attentively to his statements, then dismissed him without committing himself to a definite reply. However, conduct complained of was speedily stopped, and, as I was informed, by orders from General Butler. This was the only intercourse I had with this officer during the war. Some months later he was relieved from command at New Orleans by General Banks, whose blunders served to endear him to President Lincoln, as did those of Villeroy to his master, the fourteenth Louis. When the good Scotch parson finished praying for all created beings and things, he requested his congregation to unite in asking a blessing for the "puir deil," who had no friends; and General Butler has been so universally abused as to make it pleasant to say a word in his favor. Not that he needs assistance to defend himself; for in the war of epithets he has proved his ability to hold his ground against all comers as successfully as did Count Robert of Paris with sword and lance.

DESTRUCTION AND RECONSTRUCTION: PERSONAL EXPERIENCES OF THE LATE WAR.
                RICHARD TAYLOR,
                LIEUTENANT-GENERAL IN THE CONFEDERATE ARMY.
                NEW YORK:
                D. APPLETON AND COMPANY, 549 AND 551 BROADWAY.
                Richard Taylor, 1826-1879, Generals, Confederate States of America, Biography, Soldiers, Louisiana, Southern States, Army, Louisiana Infantry Regiment, 9th., History, Civil War, 1861-1865, Personal narratives, United States, Campaigns, Military Life, Reconstruction

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
                geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Geoffrey: I wasn't aware of Taylor's remarks. Thanks!
                  Will Hickox

Comment

Working...
                  X