State Schools in Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Schools in Indiana

I'm looking for sources on Indiana's state schools. I keep finding passing mention, but no way near enough to build up a clear picture of what it might have been like growing up in the 1840s and '50s. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Charles Elwood
    18th Virginia Co G
    19th Indiana Co A
    ACWS (UK)

Re: State Schools in Indiana

http://books.google.com/books?id=078KAAAAIAAJ&oe=UTF-8Try this link to a book titled "A history of education in Indiana" dated 1892. Looks like it might encompass some of what you are looking for.
    Tom Lowe
    Western Federal Blues
    Tar Water Mess
    GHTI
    42nd Indiana Inf.

Across the Ohio we could see “Old Indiana.” This made the boys home sick. How they did want to cross the river into “God's Country.” James B. Shaw, 10th Indiana Inf.

Comment

In addition to what Tom Lowe said, try a search for "common schools" and Indiana in google books during the decades you're looking for.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@gmail.com
      Hank Trent

Comment

Try the three Volume "History of the State of Indiana" published by the Indiana Historical Society in 1965.
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
          In addition to what Tom Lowe said, try a search for "common schools" and Indiana in google books during the decades you're looking for.
          Indiana's common school system didnt start until 1850 or thereabouts. Prior to that - a lot of the better schools were funded by churches and required tuition. Some were funded by cities, townships and counties themselves.

I have a copy of this around here somewhere ... but I'm sure you can find it at most Indiana libraries.
          Carmony, Donald F. A Brief History of Indiana. Indiana Historical Bureau. Indianapolis, 1961.
          Also -
          Cotton, F.A. Education in Indiana. An outline of the growth of the common school system. Wm. Burford, Publisher. Indianapolis, 1904.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
          X