UNC Press books relevant to our impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC Press books relevant to our impressions

I was browsing the catalog of books for spring/summer 2010 and see LOTS of interesting titles and descriptions of books. I hope members on the forum will be willing to write something of their thoughts on these titles.

Titles range from social and religious history to military history. Some of the more interesting ones to me are the ones that are antebellum in nature. Just as an example:

Intellectual Life and the American South, 1810–1860 An Abridged Edition of Conjectures of Order
    by Michael O’Brien; Foreword by Daniel Walker Howe

The Color of the Land: Race, Nation, and the Politics of Landownership in Oklahoma, 1832–1929
    by David A. Chang

Oregon and the Collapse of Illahee: U.S. Empire and the Transformation of an Indigenous World, 1792–1859
    by Gray H. Whaley

Thomas Day: Master Craftsman and Free Man of Color
    by Patricia Phillips Marshall and Jo Ramsay Leimenstoll; Foreword by Jeffrey J. Crow

Among the Civil War titles that seem interesting to me are:

Reluctant Rebels: The Confederates Who Joined the Army after 1861
    by Kenneth W. Noe (previous post HERE)

First Fruits of Freedom: The Migration of Former Slaves and Their Search for Equality in Worcester,
    Massachusetts, 1862–1900
    by Janette Thomas Greenwood

Confederate Minds: The Struggle for Intellectual Independence in the Civil War South
    by Michael T. Bernath

David Ruggles: A Radical Black Abolitionist and the Underground Railroad in New York City
    by Graham Russell Gao Hodges

The Long Shadow of the Civil War:Southern Dissent and Its Legacies
    by Victoria E. Bynum
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Re: UNC Press books relevant to our impressions

Good find Em.What are the prices on the various civilian books?
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Re: UNC Press books relevant to our impressions

Check Amazon.com or UNC Press's website for prices.
      Sincerely,
      Emmanuel Dabney
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Working...
      X