Dear Brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Brother

I found this letter while going through some information on my wife's family tree. I am not sure what unit Oliver was with, but most of his family were in the Grayson County Militia and then Co C of the 63rd VA Inf.
    --------------------

LETTER WRITTEN BY OLIVER RECTOR DURING CIVIL WAR
    Copy of an old letter written Jan 12 1862 from Bowling Green Kentucky. by Oliver Rector a confederate soldier. to his brother Granville Rector in Grayson County Va

Bowling Green KY
    Jan 12 1862
    Dear Brother;

I again by the will of God take my pen in hand to inform you that I am well at present hoping this will find you and the family enjoying good health. I have little of interest to write at present. The prospects of a fight here are very slim. there is not as much fight talk now as there was when we arrived. I don't think there will ever be a fight here
    we have men enough next to the Yankee line to whip most any force. we have men 22 miles from here and they are withen fifteen miles of the enemy. they say the roads are so bad they could not get here now if they should try and under these circumstances I do not think we will have a fight though I cannot tell.
    The mud is from shoe top to knee deep and I have never seen it so slippery. we have not seen the sun except two or three times since we have been here. it has rained a good deal but not very hard. today the clouds are from the west and the wind is very high though it is very warm. Most all the men have been laid up with a cold. I have been the worst off with a cold I have ever been in my life. but am getting better now. our horses have all been unfit for use with the distemper. riding on the open cars Came near killing them and having to stand out in the rain & mud there are only about three or four of them fit for use. and there are only about the same number of men fit to ride them on account of the colds.
    Columbus has the Typhoid fever he was brought to the hospital last Friday and I came to wait on him. There are 12 or 15 people in the same house but he is the only one in his room with the fiver. he is not very ill and can set up part of the time and in about a week he will be walking around a little. It is a good place to be and the Doctor is good &
    kind. we keep the house in good order and as fast as the patients become able to ride on the Cars we send them to Norfolk. that is just as nice a place to be as it is at home, they tell us there are very few invalids there. and there are not many here the health of the men are good excepting the bad colds yellow jaundice and measels. but none had died for a few days until last night when two died one in our room his name was Moore. his brother was taking care of him he had a bad cold and could not lie down. he was drinking a little tea and strangled dying in a few minutes. It put a queer feeling on me to see how quick a man can be taken.
    Granville if you haven't got religion I want you to commence praying and never cease until you get it for we don't know when we will be taken away. I may never see you again in this world if I never do my prayers are to meet you in Heaven.
    We will not stay here very long I think we will be ordered back to Virginia again and then I will hope to see you all again. I write you all in the Same letter. I want you to write to me and if you hear from Anderson tell him to write to me direct to Bowling Green Ky. Floyd's Headquarters. I have not heard from you since I left home. I send my love to you
    all. so if I never meet you in this world I hope to meet you where father and mother are gone. Brother Sister & friends I bid you farwell.
    Oliver Rector.

Oliver was killed at Nashville Tennessee Feb 9 1862. he was brought back to Grayson county and buried in the Linton cemetery near where he was raised.
    Greg Bullock
    [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
    Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Re: Dear Brother

Here are some of the service records of Oliver's kin:
    RECTOR, ANDERSON, 39, 1860 GCC HH#1439. Age 48, Farmer, 1000, 465, 1870 GCC.

RECTOR, ANDREW JACKSON, 29, Farmer, 1860 GCC HH#611, Co. C, 8th VA Cav., Listed on the 1898 Grayson Co. CSA Vets. Roster. Co. C, 63rd VA Inf., Enl. 12/1/62 at Narrows. Sick at hosp. 10/12/63. Deserted 7/19/64 near Atlanta, due CSA $39.00 for ordnance. May have rtnd as PWR states: "Served to the end of war." Age 39, Farmer B. VA, 1870 AlCC.

RECTOR, BENNETT, 26, Farmer, 1860 GCC HH#1435, Grayson Militia, 2nd Lt./1st Lt., Co. C, 63rd VA Inf., Enl. 4/6/62 at Moccasin Gap, due $50 bounty. Elected 2nd Lt. 4/6/62, promoted to 1st Lt. 11/271862. "served to the end of war" per PWR. B. Grayson Co., ca. 1833, occupation farmer. Age 36, 1870 GCC. Granted pension on 5/22/1908 by the Grayson Co. Pension Board.

RECTOR, COLUMBUS, 25, Cabinet Maker, 1860 GCC HH#609

RECTOR, ENOS, 23, Farmer, 1860 GCC HH#605, Grayson Militia, 1st Sgt., Co. C, 63rd VA Inf., Enl. 4/6/62 at Moccasin Gap, due $50 bounty. AWOL 9/5-10/26/63. Prom to 1SGT 7/1/64, due CSA $9.00 for ordnance. He also served in the Grayson Co. Militia. Res. Grayson Co. Age 32, miller, 1870 GCC. D. 1900. Granted pension on 6/2/1900 by the Grayson Co. Pension Board.

RECTOR, GRANVILLE, 37, 1860 GCC HH#607. Age 47, Farm Laborer, 1870 GCC.

RECTOR, ISAIAH, 23, Farmer, 1860 GCC HH#613, Co. C, 8th VA Cav. Reenl. on 4/27/62 at Crump's Bottom, WV, probably originally Enl. on 7/27/61 in Grayson Co. Absent sick 7//62. Taken POW at Lacy Springs on 12/21/64, sent to Point Lookout, MD on 1/5/65. Released on 6/17/65, Res. of Grayson Co. Age 35, farmer, property valued at $1000, Old Town District, 1870 GCC. Applied for pension on 2/10/1911, granted by the Grayson Co. Pension Board.

RECTOR, JACOB, 34, Farmer, 1860 GCC HH#675. Age 43, Farmer, 800, 558, 1870 GCC.

RECTOR, JACOB A.: 18, 1860 GCC HH#1438. Co. K, "Vaughn's Brigade" B. 1849. On 1898 Grayson Co. CSA Vets. Roster.

RECTOR, JAMES C.: Grayson Militia, Co. C, 63rd VA Inf., Enl. 4/6/62 at Moccasin Gap, due $50 bounty. Detached 8/12/63 to work on the fortifications for the army of Western VA, never rejoined the 63rd. Age 35, farmer, 1870 GCC.

RECTOR, JOHN, 35, Merchant, 1860 GCC HH#606, Grayson Militia, Co. C, 63rd VA Inf., Enl. 5/1/62 in Grayson Co. AWOL 9/6-10/26/63, due CSA $39.00 for ordnance. Taken POW 11/25/63 at Missionary Ridge. Sent to Rock Island 12/9/63. Took the oath & was released 6/20/65. Res. Old Grayson C.H. (Old Town), fresh comp., black hair, grey eyes, 5'7", aged 36. Age 44, 1870 GCC.

RECTOR, OLIVER, 20, 1860 GCC HH#1434

RECTOR, WARNER, 33, Farmer, 1860 GCC HH#1452, Co. B, 4th VA Reserve Inf., Enl. on 4/16/64 at Independence. Furlough, 8/31/64. Age 48, 1870 Grayson Census, occupation Farmer, Res. of Old Town District.

RECTOR, WILEY G.: Grayson Militia, Co. C, 63rd VA Inf., Enl. 4/6/62 at Moccasin Gap, due $50 bounty. Sent to hosp. 5/18/64. Admitted to Occmulgee Hosp. 9/6/64 thru end of 1864, had been WIA 8/31/64 with minnie ball thru left leg. "Served to the end of the war."

RECTOR, WILLIAM, 14, 1860 GCC HH#1438, Grayson Militia, Co. C, 63rd VA Inf., Enl. 4/6/62 at Moccasin Gap. Co. B, 4th VA Reserve Inf., Enl. on 4/16/64 at Independence. Furlough, 8/31/64. Age 23, 1870 Grayson Census, occupation Farmer, Res. of Old Town District.

It looks like the majority of them were part of the Grayson Militia.
    Greg Bullock
    [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
    Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

Working...
    X