Ethnic Confederate Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic Confederate Units

I have heard of Jewish, Irish, French (Creole) and Cherokee Confederate Units. My question is, does anybody have knowledge of Confederate Units of other specific creeds or nationalities (i.e. German, Polish, etc.)?

Re: Ethnic Confederate Units

Companies A & B of the Charleston Artillery. I beleive, correct me if I am wrong that this photo is of one of them.
    Attached Files
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

I think some units from the Shenandoah Valley were predominantly German, e.g. the 5th VA.
      Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
      Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

The 13th Louisiana was a mix of about half German and half Irish. Then there are a sprinkling of Germans in some Texas units as well. There was also another unit out of New Orleans with Poles in it. Check out Ella Lonn's Foreigners in the Confederacy.
        Lee White
        Researcher and Historian
        "Delenda Est Carthago"
        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dear Sir,
          14th Louisiana commanded by Colonel Sulakowsi was Polish. There is a "Louisiana in the Civil War," website you may desire to "Google," up.
          all for the old flag,
          David Corbett
          Dave Corbett

Comment

How about German Artillery (aka German Light Artillery: Bachman's Battery)?

FROM THE ARTICLE: This unit was formed in 1862. It was also known as the German Light Artillery and as the Charleston Artillery Battery. It was armed with four 12-lb. Napoleons from August 1862 to July 1863. On May 3, 1864, it was armed with two 3+" Blakely Rifles and two 12-lb. Howitzers. On January 6, 1865, if was armed with four 12-lb. Napoleons. It was surrendered by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston at Durham Station, Orange County, North Carolina on April 26, 1865.

Honors:

Seven Days Battles VA (25 JUN - 1 JUL 1862)
            2nd Bull Run VA (28 - 30 AUG 1862)
            South Mountain VA (14 SEP 1862)
            Antietam VA (17 SEP 1862)
            Fredericksburg VA (13 DEC 1862)
            Gettysburg PA (1-3 JUL 1863)
            Tullifinny Station (9 DEC 1864)
            Carolinas Campaign SC (FEB - APR 1865)

Article References:

Crute Units of the Confederate States Army
            Rivers, William J. Col. Rivers Account of the Raising of the Troops for State and Confederate Service.
            Salley, A. S. South Carolina Troops in Confederate Service, Vol. 1
            Sifakis, Stewart Compendium of the Confederate Armies

It can be said that the Southern Armies were just as diverse in ethnicity as their Northern counterparts were. I've heard the debate made for both ways regarding the non-Anglo American ratio estimates for both the Union and Confederate armies.

All the best- Johnny:wink_smil
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

There was a Louisiana regiment recruited out of New Orleans that I have heard referred to in modern terms as the Confederate Foreign Legion (not period term) with at least a dozen nationalities represented, with the majority being German and Irish. I want to say they fought in the ANV but may be wrong about that, its been awhile since I read about them.
              Jake Koch
              The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
              https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
              -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
              -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

There's also a memoir by a German member of the Washington Artillery of New Orleans: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...=achten+letzte
                Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Originally posted by jake.koch View Post
                  There was a Louisiana regiment recruited out of New Orleans that I have heard referred to in modern terms as the Confederate Foreign Legion (not period term) with at least a dozen nationalities represented, with the majority being German and Irish. I want to say they fought in the ANV but may be wrong about that, its been awhile since I read about them.

Jake,
                  The references I have seen to this would be the 13th LA that Mr White mentioned above. They were AoT and mainly German and Irish, but sometimes enumerated as being "Spaniards, Negros, Italians, Mexicans" and more by others.
                  Pat Brown

Comment

This is a bit dated, but provides a good start: http://books.google.com/books?id=EeM...page&q&f=false
                    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Here is a list of the Sixth Regiment European Brigade (Italian Guards Battalion) of Louisiana.
                      http://www.ustica.org/genealogy/italian_brigade.htm
                      "God created Man...Sam Colt made us equal."

Comment

I will also second the reading of the book Foreigners in the Confederacy as the first place to start any study on foreign nationals within the ranks of the Confederacy.
                        Nic Clark
                        2017 - 24 years in the hobby
                        Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Working...
                        X