Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longstreet on Lee Oct 5 1862

Fellows,
    I just received "Lee's Maverick General: Daniel Harvey Hill" (Hal Bridges, 1961 reprint 2010) in the mail and skimming through it I found the following passage. Longstreet was writing to Joe Johnston who still recovering from a wound. I did not realize the 2 were so close.

"It has recieved a good deal of the old enthusiasm that your old Army has always had at the sight or thought of you. Although they have fought many battles and successfully under another leader, I feel that you have their hearts more decidedly than any other leader can have.... I can't become reconciled at the idea of your going west. I command the 1st corps in this army. If you will take it you are more than welcome to it, and I have no doubt but the command of the entire army will fall to you before spring."

he continued:
    "If it is possible for me to relieve you by going west don't hesitate to send me. it would put me to no great inconvenience. on the contrary it will give me pleasure if I can relieve you of it. I fear that you ought not to go where you will be exposed to the handicaps that you will meet with out there. I am yet entirely sound and believe that I can endure anything."

This letter was written on October 5th, 1862 only 3 days after Lee recommended Longstreet for promotion from Maj. Gen to Lt. gen (before Jackson!).

I was aware of the feud between Jackson and Garnett, and McLaws' dislike of Virginians in general, but I was not aware that Longstreet still felt that much loyalty to Johnston.

There was also Harvey Hills gripe in the matter. Jackson, DH's brother in law, said he would have resigned had he been treated by Davis the way Hill had. Hill is an interesting fellow, if anyone can stand to be in his company.

Regardless, the dissension in the Confederate high command is interesting. Run of the mill history indicates that for the most part, the ANV lacked the drama of its AOT counterpart, but that is not the case after Sharpsburg.
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Re: Longstreet on Lee Oct 5 1862

This has also been addressed in:

Wert, Jeffry D. General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier: A Biography.

Glatthaar, Joseph T. General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse.
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Re: Longstreet on Lee Oct 5 1862

I have the Wert bio but haven't picked it up in years. I guess it just never stuck with me.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
      X