"I Am Not Desirous of Joining in the Festivity"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Am Not Desirous of Joining in the Festivity"

Granted this only applies tangentally to the War Between the States, but for many Americans of Irish Birth or Descent it was an important day...

October 11, 1860

"I Am Not Desirous of Joining in the Festivity"

With the words above Sligo-born Michael Corcoran, commander of the 69th New York Militia, let state officials know that his regiment of Irishman would not be marching in honor of the visiting Prince of Wales on October 11, 1860.

He issued a statement that he, "could not in good conscience order out a regiment composed or Irish-born citizens to parade in honor of a sovereign under whose reign Ireland was made a desert and her sons forced into exile."

In holding to that principle Corcoran risked the destruction of his military career, and indeed he was brought up on charges. But an event far more important than honoring the son of a foreign sovereign would intervene to eliminate those charges when the Confederate states fired on Ft. Sumter and the charges were dropped as his services were now needed by his adopted country. Former national historian of the Ancient Order Hibernians, John J. Concannon tells the story of this incident and the rest of Michael Corcoran's colorful but brief life for WGT.

Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Re: "I Am Not Desirous of Joining in the Festivity"

Good stuff Peter, thanks for posting. I am looking forward to part two.
    David Parent

The Cracker Mess
    MLK Mess
    Black Hat Boys
    WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

David,

I posted over the link from The Wild Geese Today for the start of the series. It was written by John Concannon back in 2001. Although the end of Part 1 says Part 2 is coming soon, it is already written. Here are the links to the entire series...

COLORFUL AND GALLANT: GENERAL MICHAEL CORCORAN
      Part 1: From Bane to Toast of the Nation
      Part 2: Making a Stand
      Part 3: 'Winning the death lottery'
      Part 4: 'The Prisoner'
      Part 5: 'Your likes we will never see again"
      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Dear Sir,
        Trust a Fenian to never miss an opportunity to grandstand. Were the "No-Nothings'" ahead of their time?
        Americans: beware of foreign influence !!!!
        all for the old flag,
        David Corbett
        Dave Corbett

Comment

I can accept that Michael Corcoran was grand-standing some... but how else can you rise above the cacphony of anglophiles?

On a philosophical note... who is remembered more fondly and often 150 years afterwards? The Know-Nothings or the The Irish that fought and died for the Union?
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
            On a philosophical note... who is remembered more fondly and often 150 years afterwards? The Know-Nothings or the The Irish that fought and died for the Union?
            When was the last time you heard a Know Nothing with a bad accent?
            Andrew Grim
            The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
            x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
            Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
            Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Dear Peter,
              Any discussion of the wayward lads of the Emerald Isle is better done over a drink. Seek me out at Twin Rivers and I'll oblige you with a dram and correct your post's spelling error. Bugler R.J. Samp always knows where to find me.
              all for the the old flag,
              David Corbett
              Dave Corbett

Comment

Working...
              X