1st New Mexico Volunteers Cav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st New Mexico Volunteers Cav

Does anyone know anything about the 1st NM Vol Cav? I have been recently digging through some old papers at my Grandmothers house and found out that a direct decendant was apart of that unit. He enlisted in that units L Company and then transferred to K Company. His name was Richard J Burwell. I didn't know what action this unit saw during the Civil War or if it was against Indians or what. Any info is much appreciated.

Re: 1st New Mexico Volunteers Cav

It appears he was a teamster before enlisting as a blacksmith in Company L of the 1st NM Cavalry in early 1863. He later transferred to company K and was appointed Corporal. This unit was at Fort Whipple in Prescott, AZ where they faced off against Apaches, they also protected the first settlers into the Verde Valley and were involved in the establishment of Camp Lincoln/Fort Verde. I'm still working my way through the 1st NM Cav records but should have the Record of Events for Company K transcribed soon.

One interesting challenge with working through the 1st NM Cavalry records is that many of the additional letters and documents in the CSRs are in Spanish rather than English and have to be translated.

I'll let you know when I get further along with the research. I'd certainly appreciate copies of any documents related to Richard Burwell.
    Last edited by AZReenactor; 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: 1st New Mexico Volunteers Cav

It looks like he also accompanied Kit Carson on his campaign to subdue the Navajo.
      Last edited by AZReenactor; 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM.
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Working...
      X