Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footnote Civil War records

I have seen a few references to:

Has anyone used for research etc....if their promo is correct at $80 a year with all the info available sounds like it may be worth the subscription. Thoughts?
    Marc Riddell
    1st Minnesota Co D
    2nd USSS Company C
    Potomac Legion

Re: Footnote Civil War records

Marc,

I use it regularly. It's great for Confederate service records. Not for Federal records. Hope that helps.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

They're slowly but steadily expanding their selection of Federal records. Union soldiers from all Southern states and a few Northern ones are covered now. Hopefully they'll eventually have all of them.
      Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

With NARA microfilm now at $85 per roll the ability to access the Compiled Service Records is well worth the price of admission if your are of interest has been digitized. At this point nearly all the CS Records have been digitized and they are off to a good start on a number of the US records. The speed and ease of digitally accessing the CSRs with a high speed internet connection cannot be beat. I've got a microfilm reader and about 100 rolls of microfilm at home which have been largely idle since I started exploring Footnote. There are deals and discounts available frequently so check about before subscribing. This link should allow you to sign up for $59 instead of $79.
        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

They also offer the free 7 day trial just to test it out, as long as you cancel before your credit card is charged at the 7 day mark.

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

If you plan on doing research on any particular Confederate unit, or C.S. uniforms and equipment in general, it's definitely worth it.

Note: I did notice if you cancel your subscription and state the reason as the cost, they will offer you a discount. Also, military and DoD folks have free access through AKO or one of the other various programs being used throughout the services.

-Craig Schneider
            Craig Schneider

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the comments.
              Marc Riddell
              1st Minnesota Co D
              2nd USSS Company C
              Potomac Legion

Comment

Working...
              X