Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great description of Confederate soldier after Gettysburg

To Whom It May Concern:

With Gettysburg approaching rapidly I could not help but post this description I recently found on a research trip to the University of North Carolina's Southern Historical Collection (this reference comes from the Joyner Family Papers). I am sure most everyone on the list has seen the famous image of the "three Confederate prisoners" at Gettysburg and hopefully read Jim Schruefer's excellent analysis of the picture at "Blue and Gray Marching." This quote adds an interesting dimension to the discussion certainly.

Algernon S. Joyner served in the 15th NC and was transfered to Company K of the 32nd NC on 4 July 1862. He served with the 32nd at Gettysburg and was severely wounded in the head near Snicker's Gap, VA on 18 July 1864; he died shortly after receiving this wound. Algernon maintained a steady correspondence with his parents often asking for particular clothing items. On 30 July 1863, near Madison Court House, VA, he had this to say:

"You wrote to me about clothes I will give you a list of what I have on hand and you can see whether I need any or not. I have the pants you sent me by Jasper cut off half way between the knee + ankle to keep them out of the mud a hole in the right knee as large as my hand + all the buttons off except three one blue flannel shirt taken at Gettysburg 1 pr socks taken at the same place. I have neither coat nor jacket, as for shoes I have the remains of a pr of [strike] cloth ones drawn at Kinston which I have marched at least five hundred miles in so that now there is scarcely any top or bottom to them. I had clothes enough when we started from Fredericksburg but I threw away my knapsack before we went into Md. I suppose we will draw some clothing shortly as our quartermaster has gone after some for us now. Do not trouble yourself to get any for me at least until you hear from me again . . . I could write almost a book of our trip in Yankeedom if time and space would permit but this is my last sheet of paper + I shall have to cut my story short . . . The citizens were frightened almost to death and would give us bread butter + milk in abundance whenever asked it . . . Since the fight at Gettysburg we have had an awful time – we have been marching as I said before nearly all the time hardly having time to cook our rations and sometimes failing to get any."

While this was written nearly a month after the battle, a time spent mostly marching, it offers some invaluable information and is quite specific in its content. Rarely do I encounter anything quite like this letter referencing a soldier's appearance after a big fight. I hope it is interesting and/or useful to some of the list members. Thank you for your time and attention.

Cheers, Jim Broomall

Re: great description of Confederate soldier after Gettysburg

Cool entry,
    Just curious, Does Joyner show a tendency to exaggerate in any of his other letters home? Im not saying he is exaggerating in this case, but if he clearly does in other letters it may be the case here to. I know from personal experience that combat takes its toll on uniforms and equipment rather quickly. Im just waiting to see a whole company walking around at Gettysburg now with their pants cut off just below the knee!!
    [B][I]Mike Dougherty[/I][/B]
    Princess Anne Grays/ Lee's Sharpshooters
    [URL="http://princessannegrays.weebly.com"]http://princessannegrays.weebly.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=188825421123"]The Princess Anne Greys/ Lee's Sharpshooters on Facebook[/URL]

Comment

Mike:

His other letters seem to the point and nothing quite compared to this one in terms of description and desperate condition. I think this letter is written with some irony about his condition, and while he clearly wanted items from home I think the basic image rings true. As you note, he has been on the road nearly two months, through some very tough marching and fighting in all kinds of weather, and I think the accumulated impact was exhibited in his appearance. The oddest part is the pant cut leg, but if he expected to draw new pants or receive something from home he may have simply chosen to be rather cavalier.

Cheers, Jim Broomall

Comment

Am interested in the shoes - cotton presumably means "cotton canvas" and as they were "drawn at Kinston" (NC), they were issued prior to May 1863 when the regiment left Kinston for Virginia. So he marched from NC to Gettysburg and back in a pair of canvas shoes. Not bad.

Wonder if the "blue flannel shirt taken at Gettysburg" was a Federal issue sack coat, contract blue flannel undershirt or a civilian shirt liberated from the locals?
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
        X