Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Autor/quote

Hi All,

Trying to track down another quote... plus the person the quote originated with. I'm not actually sure what era this quote is from, but I would love it if I could find out were it comes from. The quote goes something like this: "The heritage of the South is one of Christianity, family, and a bond with the land/soil." That's a extremely rough paraphrase, based on something I remember reading several years ago. Please let me know if you can identify the source!
    Nathan Dodds

Re: Looking for Autor/quote

Sigh... I was hoping this would be a well known quote... I can't remember where I found it to save my life.
    Nathan Dodds

Comment

Nathan,

I too, remember hearing that phrase and I did some checking, but to no avail.................

Sorry.

Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

It sounds like something from William Faulkner, doesn't it? I can't find anything in those words, though.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Maybe Bell Irvin Wiley? The Life of Johnny Reb? Not sure if that helps.
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

It's wild that you mention Faulkner, Craig. That is the first thought that I had too and would have bet money that it was in "The Unvanquished" or "The Sound and the Fury" but I cannot find it.

One other group of writers that may be the source would be one of "The Agrarians" of the early 20th Century. I could see this being written by Tate, Lytle, Warren, etc. as it fits the rhythm of their writings.

This is gonna be one of those "dad-blamed" things that I cannot get out of my mind, ha.

Such is the curse of the obsessive/compulsive.....

Mark
            J. Mark Choate
            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Yeah... It's really starting to bug me... thanks for the ideas... I'll do some reading and see if it comes up.
              Nathan Dodds

Comment

Not sure if you know him but James D. Black who used to visit this forum often years ago told me he was doing some study on the revivals in the Army. He may have resource on the quote. But this was years ago as he was studying to enter academia.
                Rich Saathoff
                [email]hardeeflag@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:6;&version=9;"]John 14:6[/URL]
                [URL=http://greens-cavalry-corps.blogspot.com/]Green's Texas Cavalry Corps[/URL]
                [URL=http://www.arizonabattalion.com/]The Arizona Battalion[/URL]

Comment

I doubt it was Wiley. He ended the chapter "Consolations of the Spirit" in "The Life of Johnny Reb" with the statement that, despite the "salutary effect" of religion, "a majority of Confederates made no profession of faith and had no church affiliation."
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                  X