Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbing and Sad Reality of the CW Period

Gents-

I came across this and debated whether it was appropriate to share or not. I decided to share it for its historical significance. It is not a pretty subject and it is my hope that I am not offending anyone.

Follow the link for a court martial case with verdict against a trooper in the 7th Kentucky Cavalry.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Disturbing and Sad Reality of the CW Period

On occasion such accounts are given in more veiled terms "outrages" "outrages upon the person of a lady" "depredations among the servants" .

The plight of unprotected women is never pretty, especially so if they must trade their own safety for that of their children. We sometimes fool ourselves that this was a 'gentleman's war' . A close review of the records show that hardly to be the case, possibly even more so once professionally trained U S Regulars were stretched too thin, and once immigrant troops entered the fray.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
    X