No announcement yet.

Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms & Accoutrements, Volume II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms & Accoutrements, Volume II

As promised some news on a new book. Craig and Dave have signed a new deal with Schiffer Publishing to produce "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements, Volume II."
    After another two years of research in the McRae Papers, the Official Records and the willing assistance of learned individuals and museums we intend this book, along with volume I to be the definitive reference books on British accoutrements in Confederate service. The book contain ALL NEW detailed histories of new companies, including: Robert Mole & Co of Birmingham, Eley Brothers of London., Weyersburg of Solingen (blade manufacturer) Francis Preston (designer of the locking device for the P53 bayonet), and Arthur Warner (inventor of the new P1862 oil bottle)

We also have brand new chapters on new gun-makers, like C.W. James, Hackett, Pryse and Redman, R&W Aston, RT Pritchett, King & Phillips, London Armoury Co, Charles Lancaster and imported Brunswick and P51 rifles. There are also new chapter on the Adams Revolver as well as brand new chapters with colour photos on Confederate British used haversacks, canteens, plus all ten nipple wrenches used together with details and photos of each one.

We have brand new detailed chapters and photographs of newly surfaced knapsacks, (including the total numbers imported) waist belts – plus new pictures and details of all the different kind of snake buckles, cap pouches, 50 round pouches, ball bags, frogs, oil bottles, sabre bayonets, bayonets for the P53 Enfield, bayonet scabbards, down to snap caps and tompions for the Enfield rifle musket.

We also have eight all new appendices including one on the S. Isaac Campbell & Co Shoe Factory in Northampton, detailed looks at Confederate invoices from S. Isaac Campbell & Co, British Arms and Accoutrements in Confederate Service (Supported by pictures of soldiers wearing the equipment), Arms and equipment as supplied to CS ordnance officers, and one detailing all the British suppliers and ships, plus an appendix on Lt Baddeley of the British army who invented the Baddeley Barrel Band on the P53 Enfield Rifle, and a detailed look at the P56 & P58 ‘short’ Enfield rifle.

All of the text will be supported by over 300 all new detailed photos of the equipment and weapons. In all it will not just be a second edition but a completely new book on Confederate used British imports. All this and more besides and we expect to wrap this up by the end of the year with publication in early 2016.

David Burt
    David Burt
    Co-author (With Craig L. Barry) Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements
    Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London/ Peter Tait & Co, Limerick
    Suppliers to the Confederacy Volume II: More British Imported Arms and Accoutrements
    Suppliers to the Confederacy Volume III: British and European Imported Quartermaster Goods, Artillery & Other Ordnance, OUT NOW!

Re: Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms & Accoutrements, Volume II

David,

I look forward to the publication in order to procure more insight into this topic.
    I am certain it will contain a treasure trove of knowledge.

Erik Simundson
    Erik Simundson

Comment

Re: Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms & Accoutrements, Volume II

David Burt

Did you open another account here with a new screen name? Somehow related to your new laptop or are you going through a mid-life crisis? I liked the old one, "DBurt" it was easier to remember.

As far as the new book, that's true...There was a surprising level of interest in the subject matter which was under-researched or at least under-published for some reason. And when the first Suppliers to the Confederacy English Arms & Accoutrements hit the Amazon top twenty in US Civil War History/Confederate (a small category), the publisher green lighted the second volume. One of the criticisms of the first volume was what was left out. We hope to remedy that with volume two. It was always intended to be two volumes. The scope of the subject is a bit too broad for one volume.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 08-11-2014, 07:25 AM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Craig,

My old laptop blew a gasket and I had to buy another. I also lost my details for the AC and had to create a new account. My new username is 'Beartowner' (After Congleton). All my work was saved and it was backed -up anyway on memory sticks.

Dave Burt
        David Burt
        Co-author (With Craig L. Barry) Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements
        Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London/ Peter Tait & Co, Limerick
        Suppliers to the Confederacy Volume II: More British Imported Arms and Accoutrements
        Suppliers to the Confederacy Volume III: British and European Imported Quartermaster Goods, Artillery & Other Ordnance, OUT NOW!

Comment

For those a little weak on their Olde English history...Congleton is known as Beartown as memorialized in the following ditty:

Congleton rare,
          Congleton rare,
          Sold the Bible
          To buy a bear.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

In the meantime take a look at our page on facebook. Lots of information and photos of British imported arms and accoutrements.

Dave Burt
            David Burt

Comment

Working...
            X