Newly discovered Civil War photos show Henrico battlefield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly discovered Civil War photos show Henrico battlefield

WHERE is the pic of both Yanks and Confederates in the field together??? I couldn't find it in the article... :/
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Newly discovered Civil War photos show Henrico battlefield

It doesn't appear to be in the article. I guess they left that one for people who were visiting the gallery exhibit at the Henrico Theater in Highland Springs.
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Its also in the Fred. paper with different pictures that open in separate windows with much more detail, here is a link: http://news.fredericksburg.com/pasti...rsburg-photos/

He (Mike Gorman) also has a website with lots and lots of photos, which can be found here: http://www.mdgorman.com/index.html

I have put in a call to him to find the pictures online, however he is out until Friday. I'll post an update when I hear something new.
      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Good on ya, thanks, Mike!
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Mike Gorman has a copy of the Strangers Guide for Richmond on his site as well I have found it useful as a quick cheat sheet when looking up Ordnance and QM officers on Fold3.com.
          Mike Brase
          Proprietor
          M.B. Young and Co.
          One of THEM!
          Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

In the first article, the top photo shows Cowan's NY Battery in captured Battery 5 on the Petersburg lines, not Ft. Harrison. I believe the paper got it wrong. Additionally, if you want to see a great image taken from the ramparts of Ft. Burnham (formerly Harrison) see here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...2003004897/PP/

Download the tiff version and enlarge and one can see the Federal pickets in "no mans land" and the new Confederate line at Chaffin's Farm constructed to seal of the breach in their old line. It almost looks like a sentry might be on the CS fort but that may be a stretch. This may be the image they reference showing both sides on the field at the same time. I tried to upload it here but alas, too large
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Here is a cropped view of the distant background of the above referenced photo showing the manned US rifle pits and distant CS works. Note the abatis in front of the Confederate lines.
              Attached Files
              Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Nice- I think it is a sentinel on the rampart... :)
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

OK, I'm gonna try and make this short, cause it could get long. I spoke with Mike Gorman from the NPS, very nice guy.

The Henrico Citizen pics were taken by someone at a talk he recently gave, and that person took pics of the movie he (Mike Gorman) was playing that had several pictures in it. The top pic is not Ft. Harrison, the bottom one is but its not one that's "newly discovered".

There are 2 photos mainly that Mike found. Both of them he found on the LOC website, they were just mislabeled as being from Petersburg. The 2 pics that are in the Fred. Star article are from Mike for the article. Here are the 2 links to those on the LOC website, the first one being the one Mr. Lloyd is looking for:

&

As well as 1 other one that I found within the same collection: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/cwp2003004894/PP/
                  If you download the big TIF file in the first link, you can see the CS works/defenses that he references in the article. Eventually Mike will upload the video to YouTube since the video is his own work and not the NPS. Just search for his name and Ft. Harrison in a couple of weeks. If you search for his name only, you'll get lots of clips of Mike Gorman calling Boston Celtics games.

He came about them while looking through Petersburg photos on the LOC site, noticing some were mislabeled. So newly discovered photos of Ft. Harrison is correct, but they are not new photos.
                  Last edited by mike44thva; 09-26-2014, 10:39 AM. Reason: wrong 3rd link
                  Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
                  44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks Mike. You are correct. The second photo gives a great view of Ft. Harrison from a Federal attack perspective and the so called great rampart is quite evident. For more info on this important earthwork and a self guided tour map kindly see my blog post here: http://26nc.org/blog/?m=201306
                    Bob Williams

Comment

Both of those photo's are displayed on the trail around the breastworks. Just saw both of them this past Friday.
                      Claude Sinclair
                      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Working...
                      X