Partners in Command; The Relationships Between Leaders in the Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partners in Command; The Relationships Between Leaders in the Civil War

I just finished reading this book published by Free Press and authored by Joseph Glatthaar who is a professor of history at the University of Houston. I have been more and more intrigued with the relationship of commanders and the effects they had on battles and strategy during the war. The personality studies are interesting to me and this book deals with such things.

Glatthaar looks at a number of relationships on both sides: Lee/Jackson, Lincoln/McClellan, Davis/Johnston, Grant/Sherman, Grant/Sherman/Porter and finally Lincoln/Grant. Each chapter is an interesting study of how the personalities and mental make-up of the men in each relationship caused the success or failure of grand tactical and strategic operations of the war.

I found the Lincoln/McClellan and Davis/Johnston chapters to be the most interesting personally but also enjoyed the look at the relationship between Lincoln and Grant. Glatthaar brings out some points about each relationship that I was unaware of or had failed to realize. Understanding the personalities and mental composition of the men involved in conducting the war goes a long way into understanding why things did or did not work.

One of the most interesting things in the book for me came at the end. The appendix looks at McClellan and his flaws from a psychological viewpoint which I found to be interesting.

If you ever wondered why a certain personality did what they did in the war, I would recommend this book to help gain an insight into those questions.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys
Working...
X