Ohio and the Prussian Smooth-bore Musket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio and the Prussian Smooth-bore Musket

For the past few years I have been researching arms that were used by Ohio, specifically infantry arms, from 1861-1865. For some reason, the more I research, the more I become interested in this topic. Most individuals would recognize the name of the Prussian M1809 or the Potsdam 1809, however, the State of Ohio referred to them as the Prussian Smoothbore Musket. I have tried using the search button to find a thread or post referring to the Prussian Musket that may have been used by Ohio regiments between the years of 1861 to 1863 but have come up emptied handed. I have a list, provided below, of the units that were issued the Prussian Smoothbore Musket. Most of the regiments had this arm for a short period of time while a few may have held them for a greater period. I have heard that some Ohio regiments may have used this arm in the western theatre. If anyone has a regiment (Ohio) to add or a first-hand account of this arm having seen combat operations during the war I would greatly appreciate the information.

Ohio Regiments Issued the Prussian Smoothbore Musket

1861 (Ohio Regiments)
    58th December 17, 1861 issued 300 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    43rd December 20, 1861 issued 300 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    55th December 21, 1861 issued 620 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    68th December 23, 1861 issued 620 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    82nd December 24, 1861 issued 620 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    67th December 30, 1861 issued 620 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    50th December 31, 1861 issued 300 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets

1862 (Ohio Regiments)
    46th January 18, 1862 issued 700 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets

Camp Dennison: Issued 1,000 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets on February 3, 1862
    General Wade: returned 881 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets on March 26, 1862

74th May 1, 1862 issued 100 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    77th May 7, 1862 returned 82 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    85th June 13, 1862 issued 780 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets and again issued 200 Prussian
    88th July 3, 1862 issued 415 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    52nd July 5, 1862 issued 100 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    95th August 7, 1862 issued 200 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    93rd August 11, 1862 issued 200 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    87th October 9, 1862 issued 100 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    124th December 2, 1862 issued 700 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets
    32nd December 12, 1862 issued 500 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets

71st Ohio issued 8 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets on January 17, 1863

Thanks Again,
    Christopher Warfel
    Co B, 51st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment
    1861-1865
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Re: Ohio and the Prussian Smooth-bore Musket

Great info Christopher, during your research have you managed to turn up any info on what the 77th was using after they returned their Prussians? Most specifically what were they armed with during the Camden Expedition?

Thanks

Tyler
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Good evening,

Robert F. Flemming's article, The Battle of Shiloh as a Private Saw It, (Ohio MOLLUS, Volume 6, pp.132-133) states that the regiment received "Austrian" muskets as an initial issue. "The guns issued were known as Austrian rifled muskets, a gun using a large caliber bullet. They were not considered a desirable arm, and there was bitter disappointment among the men in not getting an Enfield rifle, which was then considered a very superior gun. I well remember the bitter revolt of some of the companies, and that Company C stacked their guns in front of the company tents and almost mutinied. They were a very heavy, awkward gun, and had a very unpleasant habit of kicking back when fired." McCormick's article in the same issue made no mention of their equipment.

I thought it would be easy to answer the question about the 77th OVIs subsequent issue until I read the state AG report which merely says, "issued in the field". I don't think there's a regimental history of the 77th, so there's no help there. The only two ways that I can think to find out what they carried at Camden is through letters written to the editor of the Marietta newspaper(s) or to check the Summary of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores in the National Archives.

I hope this helps a bit. And, Chris, it's good to see you back.

Jim
      James Brenner

Comment

Hallo!

Although not ever verified or confirmed, it is Miller family oral tradition that my wife's great-great grandfather John Miller had been issued a percussion altered M1816 (M1822).

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi Chris,
          Not sure if you've gone through this thread yet Arming Ohio Pt. 1

This was posted on the NSSA boards, but I stumbled on it a little while ago and was more impressed by the consistency of issuing muskets to rifles at an 4:1 ratio, allowing the flank companies to serve as skirmishers and the main body to do the workload of close fighting. NSSA Link
          Mark Krausz
          William L. Campbell
          Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
          Old Northwest Volunteers
          Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the information. I do have a copy of "Arming Ohio" and refer to it often. As you already know it's a great resource to have on hand while researching Ohio units.

Jim, it's good to hear from you.

Chris
            Christopher Warfel
            1861-1865
            Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Comment

In 1861 Ohio received a supply of 5,020 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets from P. V. Hagner on 9 December. The entry appears in the Arsenal Day Book (Series 128 – 50,243):

Arsenal Day Book
              Dec 9th Arsenal
              To P.V. Hagner New York
              5020 Prussian Smooth
              Bore Muskets 72 Cal.

According to the Quarter Master’s annual report to the Governor of Ohio for the year 1861 there were no Prussian Smoothbore Muskets issued for that year. This is partly true since his report only covered up to the day of his report which was 15 December 1861. From 16 to 31 December at least 3,380 Prussian Smoothbore Muskets (from here on I will refer to them as the Prussian Muskets) had been issued. The regiments who received them were the 58th, 43rd, 55th, 68th, 82nd 67th, and the 50th Ohio Regiments. Within a month most of these regiments returned their arms and were subsequently issued other arms.

In 1862 an additional 4,500 Prussian Muskets were received from Captain Crispin on November 26, 1862. During the year, from what I could find, only 4,395 Prussian Muskets had been issued. From this point on to 23 September 1863, Ohio only received a total of 9,520 Prussian Muskets from the federal government. What I’m discovering is that very few of these arms were ever issued to a regiment that actually carried them for any length of time except the 85thand 88thOhio. In 1863 most issues of the Prussian Musket were provided to military commands located throughout Ohio. Some of the locations included Columbus, the Geauga Blues, Wooster, and Cleveland. Beginning on 18 July 1863 and extending well into September numerous issues were made to Ohio Volunteer Militia battalions and regiments.

I guess the question I have is this. Have I assumed incorrectly that this arm was used in the western theatre from 1861 to 1863 by Ohio regiments?
              Christopher Warfel
              1861-1865
              Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Comment

I'm from Wooster. There was a Prussian smoothbore in the historical society's Civil War items the last time I was there in 2008. I might swing by there when I am home later this month and see if it is still on display or if they have any records of arms issued for the regiments mustered in the area.
                Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
                SCAR

Comment

Hi Christopher, I thought that I would let you know that while reading The Little Rock Campaign the Diary of Sgt. Henry H. Brabham Company H. 77th OVI I found an entry From Tuesday, May 24th 1864 in Little Rock that states:

“Clear and warm. I have been in camp all day today. Nothing worth note has taken place today. We drew 16 Enfield Rifles muskets and 16 sets of traps and ishued [sic] some of them to the Company will ishue [sic] the rest of them in the morning.”

I have also found a few identified photographs of men who were in the 77th and only one of them appears to be holding a Prussian. The rest look to be Enfield Rifles. Granted I cannot definitely say that is what they were all replaced with but it is a start in the right direction.

“Nothing worth note has taken place today.”

Yes something very important happened today Sgt. Brabham. You recorded a very valuable piece of information for future generations!
                  Tyler Underwood
                  Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                  Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Hey Tyler, I tried looking for information on the 77th Ohio and when the regiment may have been issued the Prussian Musket, but have come up empty handed thus far. There is one available resource which I am unable to get ahold of at this time. In the back of Series 2224-BV990 (OHS) is a list of arms issued to each regiment from 1-80 (if my memory serves me correctly). I'm guessing the 77th may have been issued a small quantity of Prussian Smoothbore Muskets prior to leaving the state in February 1862. It was somewhat common for regiments to receive a small quantity of arms before a permanent issue was provided. Sometimes the number of arms issued were not noted in the log which is why two or more sources are necessary for verification. Thanks for the information thus far, It is always greatly appreciated.
                    Christopher Warfel
                    1861-1865
                    Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Comment

Chris, I wanted to give you an update on my trip to the Archives and let you know that I wasn’t able to find any useful information. But after discussing it with a friend this idea came to mind; what do you think the chances are that the 77th received some of the captured CS rifles after the surrender of Vicksburg even though the regiment was not in any way involved as they were in Alton, Ill. At the time and didn’t return south (Helena, Ark.) until Aug. 5th 1863.
                      Tyler Underwood
                      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                      Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Working...
                      X