The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery And The Making Of American Capitalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery And The Making Of American Capitalism

5 Things About Slavery You Probably Didn't Learn In Social Studies: A Short Guide To 'The Half Has Never Been Told'
    By Braden Goyette
    From The Huffington Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlaveImage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	231264
    Edward Baptist's new book, "The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery And The Making Of American Capitalism", drew a lot of attention last month after the Economist said it was too hard on slave owners.

What you might not have taken away from the ensuing media storm is that "The Half Has Never Been Told" is quite a gripping read. Baptist weaves deftly between analysis of economic data and narrative prose to paint a picture of American slavery that is pretty different from what you may have learned in high school Social Studies class.

The whole thing is well worth reading in full. Baptist positions his book in opposition to textbooks that present slavery like a distant aberration of American history, cramming 250 years into a few chapters in a way "that cuts the beating heart out of the story." To counter that image of history, Baptist devotes much of the book to depicting the lived experience of enslavement in a way that's vivid and immediate.

But for those of you who are strapped for time, or who want a peek into the book before committing to the full 420 pages, here are five of his key arguments:

1) Slavery was a key driver of the formation of American wealth.

Baptist argues that our narrative of slavery generally goes something like this: it was a terrible thing, but it was an anomaly, a sort of feudal throwback within capitalism whose demise would inevitably come with the rise of wage labor. In fact, he argues, it was at the heart of the development of American capitalism.

Baptist crunches economic data to come up with a "back-of-the-envelope" estimate of how much slavery contributed to the American economy both directly and indirectly. "All told, more than $600 million, or almost half of the economic activity in the United States in 1836, derived directly or indirectly from cotton produced by the million-odd slaves -- 6 percent of the total US population -- who in that year toiled in labor camps on slavery's frontier."

By 1850, he writes, American slaves were worth $1.3 billion, one-fifth of the nation's wealth.

2) In its heyday, slavery was more efficient than free labor, contrary to the arguments made by some northerners at the time.

Drawing on cotton production data and firsthand accounts of slaveowners and the formerly enslaved, Baptist finds that ever-increasing cotton picking quotas, enforced by brutal whippings, led slaves to reach picking speeds that stretched the limits of physical possibility. "A study of planter account books that record daily picking totals for individual enslaved people on labor camps across the South found a growth in daily picking totals of 2.1 percent per year," Baptist writes. "The increase was even higher if one looks at the growth in the newer southwestern areas in 1860, where the efficiency of picking grew by 2.6 percent per year from 1811 to 1860, for a total productivity increase of 361 percent."

Free wage laborers were comparatively much slower. "Many enslaved cotton pickers in the late 1850s had peaked at well over 200 pounds per day," Baptist notes. "In the 1930s, after a half-century of massive scientific experimentation, all to make the cotton boll more pickable, the great-grandchildren of the enslaved often picked only 100 to 120 pounds per day."

3) Slavery didn't just enrich the South, but also drove the industrial boom in the North.

The steady stream of large quantities of cotton was the lifeblood of textile mills in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and generated wealth for the owners of those mills. By 1832, "Lowell consumed 100,000 days of enslaved people's labor every year," Baptist writes. "And as enslaved hands made pounds of cotton more efficiently than free ones, dropping the inflation-adjusted price of cotton delivered to the US and British textile mills by 60 percent between 1790 and 1860, the whipping-machine was freeing up millions of dollars for the Boston Associates."

Slavery in the South was also instrumental in changing the demographic face of the North, as Europeans streamed in to work in the region's factories. "Outside of the cotton ports, jobs were scarce for immigrants in the slave states during the 1840s, and they had no desire to compete with workers driven by the whipping-machine," Baptist explains. "The immigrants' choice to move to the North had significant demographic impact, raising the northern population from 7.1 million in 1830 to 10 million in 1840, and then to over 14 million by 1850. In the same period, the South grew much more slowly, from 5.7 million in 1830 to almost 9 million."

4) Slavery wasn't showing any signs of slowing down economically by the time the Civil War came around.

Here's Baptist:

In the 1850s, southern production of cotton doubled from 2 million to 4 million bales, with no sign of either slowing down or quenching the industrial West's thirst for raw materials. The world's consumption of cotton grew from 1.5 billion to 2.5 billion pounds, and at the end of the decade the hands of US fields were still picking two-thirds of all of it, and almost all of that which went to Western Europe's factories. By 1860, the eight wealthiest states in the United States, ranked by wealth per white person, were South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Connecticut, Alabama, Florida, and Texas -- seven states created by cotton's march west and south, plus one that, as the most industrialized state in the Union, profited disproportionately from the gearing of northern factory equipment to the southwestern whipping machine.

And it provided the basis for the creation of sophisticated financial products: slave-backed bonds that Baptist says were "remarkably similar to the securitized bonds, backed by mortgages on US homes, that attracted investors from around the globe to US financial markets from the 1980s until the economic collapse of 2008."

Slave-backed bonds "generated revenue for investors from enslavers' repayments of mortgages on enslaved people," Baptist writes. "This meant that investors around the world would share in revenues made by hands in the field. Thus, in effect, even as Britain was liberating the slaves of its empire, a British bank could now sell an investor a completely commodified slave: not a particular individual who could die or run away, but a bond that was the right to a one-slave-sized slice of a pie made from the income of thousands of slaves."

5) The South seceded to guarantee the expansion of slavery.

There are many competing explanations for what moved the South to secede. Baptist argues that the main driving reason was an economic one: slavery had to keep expanding to remain profitable, and Southern politicians wanted to ensure that new western states would be slave-owning ones. "Ever since the end of the Civil War, Confederate apologists have put out the lie that the southern states seceded and southerners fought to defend an abstract constitutional principle of 'state's rights.' That falsehood attempts to sanitize the past," Baptist writes. At every Democratic party national convention, "participants made it explicit: they were seceding because they thought secession would protect the future of slavery."

So why is it important to revisit this history now, nearly 150 years after slavery ended?

Baptist argues that our understanding -- or misunderstanding -- of slavery has policy implications for the present. (In that way, the book is complementary reading to Ta-Nehisi Coates' much talked-about Case For Reparations). "If slavery was outside of US history, for instance -- if indeed it was a drag and not a rocket booster to American economic growth -- then slavery was not implicated in US growth, success, power and wealth," Baptist writes. "Therefore none of the massive quantities of wealth and treasure piled by that economic growth is owed to African Americans." Anyone who believes that, his book aims to show, really hasn't heard the half of it.

CLICK HERE FOR THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE ON THE HUFFINGTON POST
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 11-02-2014, 09:00 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery And The Making Of American Capitalism

[Great post, Eric. Thank you for calling my attention to the HP article, and the book. Here is another article, from Time Magazine, on a closely related subject that is worth a read:

http://content.time.com/time/magazin...063869,00.html
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Clint Geller[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks, Eric! I've ordered this now on my Nook. Always on the lookout for good new books on the antebellum era.

For more on point #5 I recommend William W. Freehling's life's work, the massive two-volume Road To Disunion.He also makes a persuasive (and exhaustive) case for the Slave Power Conspiracy actually existing, though it was neither clandestine or organized enough to really be a conspiracy.
      Arch Campbell
      Hairy Nation
      Loyal Union League
      Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

About 40 years ago, the book, Time on the Cross, came out. It created quite a controversy as it not only considered slavery from an economic perspective, it also used quantitative research (computer analysis) to support its thesis. I think it was republished sometime in the 90's, but - regardless - it sounds like there are some parallels between the two books.

Jim
        James Brenner

Comment

In thinking about this topic recently I have come to think that we really tend as Americans and reenactors to white wash this topic considerably. I don't know if it is because we have the luxury of 150 years to separate us from the reality of what happened, or if it is willful amnesia of a sort. At a recent event that focused on a slave holding plantation family where we actually had three black reenactors to portray house slaves I heard numerous conversations that sought to minimize the atrocity of slavery. Comments like "Well, they were house slaves, they didn't have it bad." Or, "No wonder they didn't run away. As house slaves they were treated really well, and they wouldn't have lived that well if they ran away." And those comments are simple examples. Slavery and its experience was a broad spectrum, but I think we collectively do a bad job of living history by letting the past off the hook so easily.

Take care,
          Tom Craig
          1st Maine Cavalry
          Tom Craig

Comment

Wow. This one thread has given me quite a reading list.
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Clint Geller[/FONT]

Comment

Interesting article but I would tend to think that the reason why white European imigrants settled in the northeast probably had more to do with the cost of shipping than anything else. Dropping off the cargo (people) and getting back across the ocean as quickly as possible for the next load took less time if the unloading was done in the northeast, rather than the southeast or the Gulf of Mexico. The less time from port to port meant more profit.
              I do agree. No argument here. Cheap labor (whether slave or very low salary) is the key to ecomonic prosperity.....at least for some people. Ask the Chinese and the Indians.
              Mike Fraering

Comment

Tom, I agree with you whole-heartedly about the white-washing of history in our hobby. While I am grounded in the Midwest and am only able to get South a couple of times a year, there are very USCT reenactors, and no other African-American presence in the hobby where I live. There is also no mention or discussion of slavery, in first or third person, to the point that it feels like slavery and the African-American experience is swept under the rug entirely. To be perfectly honest, I have some very deep problems with the perceived knowledge of this area of history held by many of the reenactors I interact with, but I will stop there for the sake of civility.
                Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Bob, I'm sure you and I have talked about this before, but I'm right with you. I can't begin to tell the number of times I've heard men in uniform- and by putting your gear on you are de facto indicating to the public that you are an expert- deny the centrality of slavery in the conflict. I have seen this on both ends of the hobby. Having "the right gear" is great, but it doesn't prevent you from misrepresenting history to the public. Only research can do that.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.
                  Last edited by Arch Campbell; 11-07-2014, 10:02 AM.
                  Arch Campbell
                  Hairy Nation
                  Loyal Union League
                  Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

It is true--- slavery was wealth. The argument of slavery vs Free Labor goes all the way to 1848 and the creation of the Free-Soil Party which led to the creation of the Republican Party of 1855. By 1862 the production and export of wheat in the North outdid cotton in dollars. That in order for slavery to survive it had to expand. Every inch of Southern soil was used for cotton or tobacco. The real money in slaves were slaves themselves. That slavery fostered wealth in the North-- that is true-- but the influx of immigrants and the movement West created more wealth than slavery... The South was lax in industrialization and invention. The Slave culture fostered an almost feudal "aristocracy" amongst wealthy Southerners. In 1835 John C. Calhoun made the statement that "slavery will be the subject that a Southern Union can be formed." They called it "slavery agitation"- If the idea that slavery contributed to the growth of the US commercially-- I can agree to a point--but,
                    America was always rich in natural resources besides. The point that reparations are necessary??-- was it the slaves or the slave owners who deserve reparations? They like the Romans created an Empire of sorts--- Do the slaves in Rome deserve the credit or their masters? I take this point as an exercise in thought and debate and not race. In the early days of slavery, Native-Americans, and indentured Europeans also worked the fields. I would state the author might have left out the part about the wheat and exports-- the value of land in the Free North-- the differences in population growth north and south and a lot facts and politics that could both add and distract from the point---
                    Tom Arliskas
                    CSuniforms
                    Tom Arliskas

Comment

I can't begin to tell the number of times I've heard men in uniform- and by putting your gear on you are de facto indicating to the public that you are an expert- deny the centrality of slavery in the conflict.
                      While I agree with what you are saying, this does bring up an interesting dilemma for someone in first person. While it is true that slavery was central to the conflict, it is also true that you would be hard pressed to find soldiers on either side who would cite preserving or abolishing slavery as a major motivator for their involvement in the war. How does one present an historically accurate picture of the war while simultaneously presenting an historically accurate picture of the individual when the two seem to be in conflict?
                      Eric Paape
                      Because the world needs
                      one more aging reenactor

Comment

True--- Hindsight is 20-20. We know today what the majority never knew then. They read the papers to get their information, and like today, much of what they read and we here and see as news was guised in political affiliations and ideology. Ask a man living in 1857 what his views were on the Dred Scott Decision-- If he is a Northerner he hated it--- A Southerner-- thought it was a wise and judicial Decision.

First person would be or should include the aptitude, education, and back round of an individual. A poor dirt farmer probably didn't give a damn. A wealthy wheat farmer cared a lot. A newspaper man or an educated man from the North was in empathy with the abolitionists from the EAST. A Midwesterner maybe not so much, but they voted Republican.

As a first person--- WE can state as there were many opinions-- pro and con slavery and expansion------ picking a side comes first-- abolitionist or gradual emancipation or neither--- how much interest one has for or against men of color is second many cared little what happened to ex-slaves. One program had them being sent back to Africa or South America for colonization--- In the North "Union" comes first. Many politicians fought slavery because they feared it could lead to disunion and they were right so they constantly gave in to save the UNION--- In the South, Secession comes as a Constitutional Right--- but all arguments are built on the question of slavery... You just have to decide your personal opinion-- I applaud your devotion to getting it right--- In many States you could be the only CW historical figure a young person will see or get to talk to or read about--- and this is shameful....

CSuniforms
                        Tom Arliskas
                        Tom Arliskas

Comment

I think that people feel the need to defend themselves because of something they had no control over in the past of this country, which is indeed held over each and every white man and womens head, mostly politically today.
                          However the reality of slavery is more twisted to make you feel ashamed of the countries past, and your heritage.
                          I do feel that slavery is wrong do not get me wrong about this, but, we were a country in its infancy with slavery and not the propagators of slavery.

Even Lincoln didnt feel he should abolish slavery if he could re unite the Union ;

Executive Mansion,
                          Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
                          Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
                          A. Lincoln.

Please read this Article before you fall to the abusive and race baiting shame you are supposed to believe, here are statistics from the Census of 1860 and a very good article entitled ' DIXIE'S CENSORED SUBJECT
                          BLACK SLAVEOWNERS '

http://americancivilwar.com/authors/...laveowners.htm
                          By Robert M. Grooms

My belief is it was at the time since economics was birthed that slavery was a thing of the times, albeit not correct in any means.

Most Southerners did not own slaves as few as 1 percent of the population did including Black slave owners.

My thoughts;
                          It is over, 100,000's have died because of its inception into the Civil War, and the PRICE HAS BEEN PAID in blood soaked fields. Its time to move on after 150 years, none of us own it anymore.

It would now be time for all of us to fight for our freedom from Federal / State/ Local slavery in the form of taxes once again. Funny how the wheel keeps turning, generation after generation of the same old oppression of slavery and taxes.

Peace

Please Note:

Mr. Maitland, thank you for your contribution to this post. However I must encourage you to please review the rules of this forum. Rule number one requires that all members post their first and last names to every post. You can prevent further notices by creating an automatic signature. This can be done by clicking on settings, in the upper right corner of the screen and then, edit signature on the lower left side of the new window. Thank you for your cooperation! - Tyler Underwood

Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 01-10-2015, 05:58 PM. Reason: Signature violation
                          Kelly Maitland

Comment

I can't begin to tell the number of times I've heard men in uniform- and by putting your gear on you are de facto indicating to the public that you are an expert- deny the centrality of slavery in the conflict.
                            I have as well.

Kelly Maitland's post above is a prime example of the arguments I frequently hear.

"Oh, the North didn't care about slaves - they were in it for the money just like the South was." Maybe so, but they did not start a war to protect their financial interests.

"Oh, the common Confederate solider did not own slaves!" That is true, but the poor have historically always done the fighting in wars that benefit the wealthy. This goes on to this very day. Herman Goering explained it well:

Göring: Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.

Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.

Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

The typical Confederate soldier was whipped up in a patriotic frenzy against the "Northern Invader". The people voting for secession in government had entirely different motivations.

In the end, the Civil War, like nearly every war, was fought over money. And that money was directly linked to slaves and slavery.

Steve
                            Steve Sheldon

Comment

I find the argument that "the average Confederate soldier didn't own slaves" to be both truthful and, well, intellectually vacuous. Yes, if you go by deed, title, census data, etc., you will find that those who owned slaves were small in number when compared to the rest of the general population of whites in the South prior to 1866. However, that ignores the complete and obvious fact that the entire socioeconomic stratification of the South was based on slavery The most wretchedly poor white person was still free, and held a higher position in the Southern "great chain of being" than any African-American. Additionally, such arguments gloss over the fact that if the head of household owns slaves, in effect, the entire household owns and benefits from the labor of that enslaved person. If your father owns the car, yet you are driven around in it, or borrow it, do you not benefit from the use of the car?

As to the question of Northern benefit from slavery, it is without a doubt the rarely acknowledged elephant in the room. I am often reminded of Thoreau's ideology of the slave drivers in the Northeastern factories holding as much responsibility in the system as the Southern overseer. But Tom's argument about wheat exports versus cotton seems a bit trite, seeing as there was a cotton export ban by the Confederacy, a blockade of Southern shipping by the US Navy, and factories in England where the workers sent petitions to America proclaiming that they would no longer work with the products of enslaved hands.

To those who object to the comments about being seen as a person knowledgeable in history, or even an expert, when you choose to put yourself on display at an event, portraying historical events to the public in an educational manner...are you there to play guns and drink beer, or are you there as part of a personal and public educational experience? The latter requires reading and research; perhaps we as a hobby would be better served if people were more concerned about scholarship instead of who made the best what.
                              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Working...
                              X