Shields Mills - Greene County - East Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shields Mills - Greene County - East Tennessee

I should have asked this question prior to setting out on my adventure to east Tennessee this past weekend. I was looking for an old location known as Shields Mills in 1865. The 4th Corps arrived in Greene County Tennessee around the latter part of March 1865. I've read through the O.R. (briefly) but I wasn't able to locate any clues as to where Shields Mills would have been located. When I was in Greeneville I stopped by the local historical society and came up empty handed. I even drove out to the old Mohawk Rolling Mill site and spoke with a local who had never heard of Shields Mills. I did find an old cemetery on top of a hill where some individuals with the last name of Shields are buried. I thought maybe the old mill was probably within this vicinity. Shields Mills or Shield's Mill was apparently a post office address between 1832 and 1836. I have a transcribed diary from the 51st Ohio Infantry, written by Israel Correll, who wrote that the regiment had passed through the gap (Bulls Gap?) and proceeded about five miles and encamped at Shields Mills. From what I gather the 4th Corps was encamped from Morristown to Greeneville. Another individual said that Shields Mills was located about half the distance between Bulls Gap and Greeneville. Has anyone ever heard of Shields Mills or know of its location? I've been following in my gg-grandfather's footsteps since 2011 covering the 150th CW events and this was one of my last stopping points.
    Christopher Warfel
    Co B, 51st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment
    1861-1865
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Re: Shields Mills - Greene County - East Tennessee

This letter appears to have been addessed from "Wm Shields Mill;" has the possibility of the namesake having been named William Shields come up before?
    Frontline to Homefront: Minto Family Civil War Correspondence

Also, have you seen the Tennessee Department of Transportation claim that the mill was a paper mill three miles north of Morristown? There is a still a Shields Ferry Road as you head north toward the Holston River from Morristown.
    Last edited by brown; 03-23-2015, 03:13 AM.
    Pat Brown

Comment

Thanks for the information Lindsey. That letter is the only one I've seen thus far that provides any description of the area in which the camp was located. I think George was referring to the RR trestle bridge over Lick Creek which is located less than a half mile southeast of Mohawk. If I remember correctly this bridge was one of the bridges burned in east Tennessee in 1861 by the Bridge Burners. My hunch is that the old Mohawk Rolling Mill and Shield's Mill are the same, but than again, it's just a hunch. It's possible that the Village of Mohawk was present during the CW, however, it's not listed as a post office address until 1887. I also saw the information on the Shield's Paper Mill but I had to rule that one out since the paper mill is in the opposite direction. Seems there is very little information to go on but I think the camp was more than likely east of present day Mohawk. My best guess of course. Thanks again!
      Christopher Warfel
      Co B, 51st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment
      1861-1865
      Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Comment

I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you ever located the Mill? I have been searching for the old hompelace of William Shields and its been a needle in a haystack so far.

Bryan Kevin Myers
        Brian Myers

Comment

Working...
        X