Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training, tactics, and leadership in the Confederate Army of ... Book by Andrew Haughton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training, tactics, and leadership in the Confederate Army of ... Book by Andrew Haughton

Hi Pards,
    I'm thinking of buying a copy of Training, tactics, and leadership in the Confederate Army of Tennessee
    Book by Andrew Haughton. Is it worth the read or should I look at something else?
    Thanks
    John Lawson
    John Lawson
    19th Alabama (Australia)

Trust in God and fear nothing.

Re: Training, tactics, and leadership in the Confederate Army of ... Book by Andrew Haughton

Hello John,

Haughton’s book proved to be something of a disappointment. He promises to discuss training, tactics and leadership in the Army of Tennessee. His work on the first and last of these subjects is good, but on tactics he falls far short of the mark. His contention is that the AoT remained wedded to a rigid application of linear tactics as promulgated by Scott’s and especially Hardee’s tactical manuals. Because of the failure of its leadership the Aot never sought to develop a tactical system that would be more flexible or innovative.

But Haughton never really delves into the question of what alternatives were available. There is no comparison of what differences or advantages there might have been between Hardee’s and Casey’s tactics. There is also no comparison between the way the AoT fought and what was different in the Federal forces opposing it or what was being done in the ANV.

Again and again I would put down the book in frustration as Houghton made an assertion concerning the tactical deficits to be found in the AoT and then offered nothing to flesh out his argument. He raises some very good questions, but does not really provide any answers.

I first found mention of Haughton’s book as recommended background reading in preparation for Shiloh 150. The title immediately caught my eye as a subject of considerable interest. At the time the price being asked by various booksellers was around $100, but I found a copy from a Polish (???) book dealer for only about $15 including postage. At that price what Haughton offered was a reasonable deal. So if you can find a cheap copy, buy it, as it will at least give you some ideas on further research. And be prepared to be frustrated at any price.

Ryan Toews

Comment

Working...
    X