This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for authentic designs for shovels and wheelbarrows

I am interested in manufacturing quality Confederate Army standard wheelbarrows and shovels. Longer term, I plan to go railroads and telegraphs. Any helpful advice here is appreciated. I plan to make shovels in Maryland and Wheelbarrows in El Paso, TX.

I am a black suit type with light army credentials. . .

David Lotter
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Evan Lotter[/FONT]

Re: Looking for authentic designs for shovels and wheelbarrows

?

I don't know if these are "confederate" pattern or not, but Rick Bailey posted this on the old forum (from the Russel and Erwin Catalogue 1865):
    Attached Files
    John Taylor

Comment

I doubt there was a difference in shovels and picks between CS and US forces. Havn't noticed any differences on dug parts. I have some period digging tools shown on this page that may help you out. Sorry I can't help you on the wheelbarrels but look at period photos. I remember seeing some in those.

Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Greetings,
        I thought that perhaps you should start studying images of CA gold rush for ideas of period shovels and wheelbarrows. You would think that since I participate in this era, gold rush, I would be able to think of tons of sites, but can't at this early moment. However, I do know that many images of the 1850s show men wearing work clothing with their tools. I'd take a look at the images from the Oakland CA museum, they have a fine collection as does the Sacramento museum. In any case, it was just a thought that jumped to mind.
        Good luck
        Judith Peebles
        Mfr,
        Judith Peebles.
        No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
        [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

When you've sucessfully implemented phase I and are ready to go on to phase II (telegraphs), drop me a line--I know a gentleman who has a working period telegraph, and he can operate it off the period correct open jars of battery acid (yikes!!!) or from his safer set up for school programs--a hidden modern battery, with the jars filled only with colored seltzer water.

And when you get the shovels made, I'm certainly a potential customer......
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

It will take about 12 months to implement a shovel schematic with durable craftsmanship - if all goes well. . . But if I can get a light production line then I will contact you about orders.

Telegraphs and railroads are more ambitous. . .

Dave Lotter

Originally posted by Spinster
            When you've sucessfully implemented phase I and are ready to go on to phase II (telegraphs), drop me a line--I know a gentleman who has a working period telegraph, and he can operate it off the period correct open jars of battery acid (yikes!!!) or from his safer set up for school programs--a hidden modern battery, with the jars filled only with colored seltzer water.

And when you get the shovels made, I'm certainly a potential customer......

Comment

Thanks for the link and the help here. I may have more questions on this matter at a later time.

Dave Lotter

Originally posted by Jimmayo
              I doubt there was a difference in shovels and picks between CS and US forces. Havn't noticed any differences on dug parts. I have some period digging tools shown on this page that may help you out. Sorry I can't help you on the wheelbarrels but look at period photos. I remember seeing some in those.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/tools/tools.html

Comment

Working...
              X