Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mysterys of Shiloh

Originally posted by johnnyturncoat
    Lastly, I take exception to being called a buff as I am sure others do. With the amount of research done by people on this board, I think the term historian is better applied.

Don't take this as an attack on you Mr, Holloway,
    on your profile it states that you are a professional historian, so I'm guessing
    that you posses a masters degree in history. How many reenactors do you think have a master degree to merit being called a historian? I guess if I study anatomy as a hobby, and I do my own research, that makes me a doctor now. Until you earn a master degree in History,and have published material to be critized by fellow collegues in accepted journals, you are still a history buff. The Authentic Campaigner is a long shot from being an accepted
    'journal.'

Sincerely,
    Johnny Jones

Mr. Jones,

I believe you misunderstood my post. I feel no personal affront or attack, but was speaking about for the scores of men and women on this board. Many of them have spent countless hours doing research and many have published that research. Some of them dont have masters degrees either, but that doesnt make their work any less valid. I believe that entitles them to be addressed as historians.
    You may find it okay to be called a buff and that is fine. But as evidenced by the giggling of my associates when that word is muttered in description of someone who has delved into the subject more deeply than reading an issue of Civil War Times Illustrated, I do find it irritating.
    I am saddened that you dont consider this board a valid journal. Many here are respected leaders on various aspects of the War Between the States. You would do good to read some of their findings. I doubt that any college history professor or musem docent could do much better.

Comment

Working...
    X