Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Seeking Reading List

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum / hobby and I am looking to establish a good base of knowledge.

I've started by picking up "Battlecry of Freedom" by McPherson, "Echoes of Glory" box set, "Civil War in Pictures" by Pratt and "Hard Marching Every Day, The Civil War Letters of Private Wilbur Fisk".

Tangentially I also have "Samuel Colt: Arms Art & Inventon" & " A History of the Colt Revolver", another interest of mine are cap and ball revolvers & backup weapons.

Thus far I've established an interest in Federal uniforms and accoutrements and for some reason I find myself very curious about New York State troops, specifically early war. I believe I'd like to move in that direction with regards to living history as well.

Based on this, can anyone make reccomendations for additional reading?

Thank you all in advance,
    Seth Byrnes
    Seth Byrnes

Re: Newbie Seeking Reading List

Hi Seth,
    Ron Field has just published a couple books that studies uniforms through period photography. I can't say how good they are, but it certainly fits the niche.

Rally Round the Flag―Uniforms of the Union Volunteers of 1861: The New England States

Uniforms of the Union Volunteers of 1861: The Mid-Atlantic States
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Peter Carmichael's War for the Common Soldier.
      Lee White
      Researcher and Historian
      "Delenda Est Carthago"
      "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Search function for Reading Lists will also help.

The Union Soldier In Battle By Earl J. Hess is a good one.

Everyone’s got a favorite.
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

Seth,
          You can't go wrong with the soldiers diary, " Rice Bull of the 123rd New York." It includes the incredible story of his experience surviving after days left wounded on the battlefield. A must read for the New York historian.

lwtaggart
          George Taggart

Comment

There are many good publications out there. I have found one of the best sources of the average soldier is written personal accounts. One of the first books I picked up years ago is "The Blue and the Gray" Volume I and II by Henry Steele Commager. "Not to be confused with the CBS series"

Joe
            Joseph Musgrove

Comment

If I remember correctly, Civil War Digital Digest has a video on this subject.
              Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

Comment

Working...
              X