Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebel Yell Recordings

Hello pards,

Dont know if this is somethin new or not, but I found a recording of a veteran showing his version of the rebel yell on www.26nc.org/History/RebelYell/main.htm. It sounded very interesting and I would like to hear some of ya'll's comments on it.
    Ryan Stull
    37th NC Co B
    stull6@charter.net

Re: Rebel Yell recorded

Privstull,

thanks for finding that so we could listen in.

For a moment I was able to imagine myself as a Union soldier waiting to receive the charge of a couple thousand guys hollering like that. It was eerie. Very. It was nearly unnerving listening to it sitting here in front of my computer. I don't know how those blue coated soldiers stood it. All I could do was let out a sigh of relief when it was finished.

Wow.

Thanks again.

Joanna Norris Grimshaw
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Yeah thats been around awhile. Pretty thought provoking... it's sort of chilling in the throat of the old veteran who gave it. Would really like to have heard it while he was more youthful.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Was it Company Aitch where the author said you couldn't do it without the impetus of combat?

Comment

combat yells/shouts/cheers are a way of releasing tension and expressing emotion - a combo of rage, fear, fury, etc. I am bit skeptical of the fidelity of this recording to the real deal since I first heard it a few years ago. Additionally, it was the effect from hundreds or thousands of throats that made the impression on startled Yankees. When it is dubbed over 500 times to simulate the effect of a regiment or brigade yelling, then you may have something like it.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DonSmithnotTMD
            Was it Company Aitch where the author said you couldn't do it without the impetus of combat?
            I thought the requirement was half starved?

And now that I am thinking of it I think Shelby Foote said it in Ken Burns' Civil War.
            I am, etc.
            Thomas Gingras
            Awkward Squad Mess
            Columbia Rifles
            Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Theres also a recording of the Rebel yell on Ken Burn's Civil War by a Confederate veteran attempting to do his Rebel yell even though he is very old. Its too bad we couldn't have heard the actual Rebel yell from when the veterans were young and in there prime, but atleast we have a good idea of what it sounded like.
              Ryan Stull
              37th NC Co B
              stull6@charter.net

Comment

Here is another of equal age, several of the boys at the Gettysburg 75th.

Scroll down to this paragraph;

You can actually listen to recordings of the rebel yell made by Confederate veterans, one from a newsreel of the 75th anniversary of Gettysburg, and another performed in 1935 by Pvt. Thomas N. Alexander of the 37th North Carolina Regiment...Bell Wiley points out, "Old voices were too weak and incentive too feeble to create again the true battle cry."

and click on the ''another'' prompt.
                Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 05-30-2004, 06:17 PM.
                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Greetings,

Interesting subject. However, I think we can reasonably postulate there was no one "rebel yell"; rather, there were "rebel YELLS." In an age where Americans were a lot more provincial than they are today, regional differences very likely played a big part in how such "yells" sounded. One account by a Federal indicates he heard rebel troops utter "a womanly scream." A "Virginia" yell was likely different from one uttered by, say, a Mississippi regiment.

I think it's a safe bet that "yells" were also drawn from hunting calls. Here's one intriguing idea: We might want to find recordings of traditional Scottish/Celtic or English vocalized hunting calls and see what they sound like.

Charlotte NC radio station WBT reportedly recorded a group of Confederate veterans also doing a "rebel yell" around 1935. I'm not sure if this recording still exists or, conversely, is one of those mentioned above. However, you might want to check it out. I found this information in the following article:

"We Always Tried to be Good People": Respectability, Crazy Water Crystals, and Hillbilly Music on the Air, 1933-1935. Grundy, Pamela. Journal of American History, March 1995, p. 1606.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Have you ever heard the Rebel Yell?

Freddie Rickard just e-mailed this link to me, click it and listen, it's pretty cool!

[COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I really don't imagine that there were any distinct rebel yells i.e. an organized chant, rather just each Confederate screaming his own blood curdling yell.

Since I started reenacting I've always been told I have an extremely good yell, people in the front ranks often turn around and give me nasty looks because it hurts their ears. When I do it I'm just screaming my lungs out.

If I was going into a deadly battle I don't think I would use the same "yip-yip" that I use when calling my dog when I go duck hunting.

But you never know maybe they did.
                      Last edited by OleMissRebel; 05-31-2004, 07:12 PM.
                      Ryan Burns
                      The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
                      3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

I found another account of the Rebel yell written at http://9thvirginia.com/rebel_yell.htm.
                        Ryan Stull
                        37th NC Co B
                        stull6@charter.net

Comment

Re: Have you ever heard the Rebel Yell?

Originally posted by JimConley
                          Great post Chris! I think someone beat ya in another folder, but nontheless equally as interesting on your part!
                          http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ead.php?t=3986
                          I'm an idiot, sorry for wasting band width folks, the Moderators are free to delete this.

In my defense, I posted this in CW History Folder as it has more to do with that than authenticity, but much like the Preservation Folder, I don't think too many guys check the CW History folder all that much. (although I could be wrong)
                          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Have you ever heard the Rebel Yell?

man,
                            I just heard that today. Very freaky. I reenact confederate, and i expected the rebel yell ( or from what i have learned as a texan rebel yell) very high pitched and alot faster. Is that correct? anyways the old vet made my bone chills when he gave that.

Alex James Belhumeur
                            5th Texas co.B
                            shirkers mess
                            victory is life :)
                            Alex J Belhumeur
                            The GawdAwful Mess
                            SC Society

"one strap goes into the grbage and the other goes into the fire" -B.K.

Comment

Re: Rebel Yell Recordings

I agree, that from the few sources we have of the Rebel yell, that there was not just one Rebel yell. They probably varried from unit to unit and therefore could have ranged differently in sound. Also, we should take into consideration that the veteran had aged and therefore the yell could have sounded a bit differently when he was in his prime. However, I still think the best example we can go by to produce and authentic yell is from the veteran doing his version and the other few sources we have.
                              Ryan Stull
                              37th NC Co B
                              stull6@charter.net

Comment

Working...
                              X