A little Lincoln quiz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little Lincoln quiz...

Here is a real neat shot of Old Abe on horseback in bronze relief, a unusual and scarce view of the President who is seldom seen in equestrian statues.

Now, if you can name the location and artists you get a gold star :tounge_sm ...

Let's see who can do it...

Good luck!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 06-19-2004, 09:09 PM.
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Re: A little Lincoln quiz...

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
    Here is a real neat shot of Old Abe on horseback in bronze relief, a unusual and scarce view of the President who is seldom seen in equestrian statues.

Now, if you can name the location and artists you get a gold star :tounge_sm ...

Let's see who can do it...

Good luck!!
    A. L. ; S&S Arch, G. A. P. , N.Y.C.
    BY W. O'D. and T. E. '95

E.A. is a favorite.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
      A. L. ; S&S Arch, G. A. P. , N.Y.C.
      BY W. O'D. and T. E. '95

E.A. is a favorite.

Ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner... I didn't think it would come so fast...

Lincoln and Grant Reliefs at the Brooklyn Grand Army Plaza, Soldiers and Sailors arch...
      Attached Files
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

For location, I would have to say Grand Army Plaza, Prospect Park, Brooklyn.

The bronze reliefs of Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant were cast by William O'Donovan and the horses by Thomas Eakins in 1895.
        Brian Koenig
        SGLHA
        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

As always...a minute late and a dollar short :) Gotta love dial-up.
          Brian Koenig
          SGLHA
          Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Thanks Ryan,

I know things.
            I have Broadband.
            I need a life.
            Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 06-20-2004, 09:17 PM. Reason: can't spel
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

You can't leave this website for a minute...

Dave Eggleston
              Dave Eggleston

Comment

Looking at that most interesting monument, made me realize that I've never really got good look at our Soliders and Sailors Monument here in Detroit. Does anyone have any information on who may have made that one? I'll be downtown on Monday and hope to take some pictures.

Once again that relief of Lincoln is very cool :)
                Andrew Donovan
                Livonia, MI
                5th Texas Co. E
                Medich Battalion
                Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyBoyDonovan
                  Looking at that most interesting monument, made me realize that I've never really got good look at our Soliders and Sailors Monument here in Detroit. Does anyone have any information on who may have made that one? I'll be downtown on Monday and hope to take some pictures.

Once again that relief of Lincoln is very cool :)
                  Randolph (Randolf?) Rodgers was the sculptor.

I think the Michigan S&S Monument is the oldest outside DC. Plans for it were drafted at or before the end of hostilities.
                  B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
                    Randolph (Randolf?) Rodgers was the sculptor.

I think the Michigan S&S Monument is the oldest outside DC. Plans for it were drafted at or before the end of hostilities.
                    Randolph Rogers. The funding organization, Michigan Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Association, was established in 1865. The monument was finally unveiled in April of 1872. I have no idea as to whether it's the oldest outside of Washington DC, but that distinction is not associated with it. It was the first CW monument to depict an African American, and is still the only known CW monument to depict an African American woman. Myth or fact? Does anyone know?

Due to downtown construction, S&S was recently moved -- again. It was interesting to see it being dismantled and eventually put back together. The entire monument has a lot of symbolism and is a great must see when visiting Detroit.
                    Yulanda Burgess
                    5th USCI, Co. C

Comment

I found this with a simple search...thought to be the oldest. I did not look beyond this link.

Dedicated July, 1863

Does anyone know of any images of those listed on the monument?
                      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
                      X