Anyone Near Falmouth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Near Falmouth?

This may not belong here but I thought that I would post it. Mods, if you want to put it elsewhere please do.

I am looking for anyone living in or near Falmouth, Virginia who would be able to take photographs of a particular home in town. Said home rests along State Route 1 but I do not have an address. It rests on the east side of State 1, directly south of the BMV in town, and it is one house away from the Rappahanock river bridge. I have an excellent photograph of the home dated to June 1862 and it's a good guide since the same home has not been changed hardly at all since that time. It is white with what I think are dark green shutters. On the State 1 side of the home there is a plaque which says "Ford Home." In the back yard there is a small garden and a garage (which was originally the site of the servant quarters). The home is almost completely surrounded by a low white picket fence.

A little history...The home was owned by the family Ford during the War and in 1862 it was taken over by Federal occupation forces, causing the Fords to quickly flee their home. In their flight they left behind a nearly full kitchen, full cabinets of fine china, every servant except for the nurse, and fully dressed beds. Officers of the 4th U.S. Artillery lived in the home until Company F of the 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters was "volunteered" to occupy the home for eight consecutive weeks. Captain Caldwell of Co. F wanted a warm place to stay and servants to wait on him so he had the men of his company stand guard duty for eight weeks while he lived in relative comfort. After a small recon mission outside of town the Sharpshooters of Co. F returned to the home and continued to use it as their guard HQ and soon after suffered the loss of their Captain Caldwell who died in the Ford house of typhoid.

The reason I am asking this of my fellow forum members and reenactors is my good friend Bill Skillman is in the middle of writing a 30+ page paper on the Sharpshooter's involvement in the town. He being in Traverse City, MI and myself being in Cincinnati, OH, we are not in the most opportune spots to research the still-standing buildings in Falmouth! Bill is in need of good photos of the Ford Home, the backyard/garage area, the side where the waterpump is, and the brick warehouse which is standing across the street towards the banks of the river. If anyone can help out and volunteer some of their time towards the project Bill and I will owe you one!

Mail me at brianwhite@cinci.rr.com if you have any comments, questions, etc.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Brian White
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Re: Anyone Near Falmouth?

Brian,

My office is about a mile from Falmouth. I'll look into it for you.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
    X