Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Letter from an Army blacksmith

For your reading enjoyment...
    This is transcribed from an original letter in my collection.
    Letter from Andrew Harp (detached from the 105 PA) to his uncle.

Camp in the woods [Most likely in Virginia]
    Dec the 31 63
    Dear Sir
    I take the present opertunity to let you know that I am well at the present and hoping that those few lines may meet you in the same state of good health
    I have been looking for a letter from you for some time but did not receive one and I concluded to write one I have been thinking of getting home soon but this reenlisting kind of knocked it in the head to a certain extent but I think I shall bee able to get home
    Time between this and April just what time I can’t tell now. The sooner the better I would like it I suppose by the time this will reach you the 105th Reg PV will bee received in Brookvill to stay for thirty days and then they are good for three years more for my part I shall let the first wife die before I marry the second That is to say that I am going to get out of the first scrape before I get into another I have now 16 month in of which I have put in eleven caring a musket 5 blacksmithing 20 more which I think I shall put in blacksmithing and then I shall go home and let some of the best {Illegible] Awile and try soldiering three years nothing more at present but remain your obedient servant
    Andrew Harp
    Direction 3rd Brigade 1st Div
    2 Corps
    in care of Capt. C W Lefingwell
    A [4?] M
    Via Washington
    DC
    Write soon
    Matthew Rector

Re: A Letter from an Army blacksmith

Matthew,
    Have you anymore letters that I could possibly be able to read so that I can get the way that the soldiers of the period wrote ?

Old Salt

You must sign your full name to your posts. The auto-signature feature in your user profile is the easiest way to do this. Please do so in the future - mc
    Last edited by dusty27; 12-16-2003, 11:07 AM.
    Alpheus W. Lewis
    Old Salt
    6th OVI, Mess1

Comment

Re: A Letter from an Army blacksmith

The internet is full of first person accounts. There are books of letters from the war in every bookstore.

The list is too long to post here or elsewhere. Do a search on Amazon for books and Google for online letters/diaries.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Re: A Letter from an Army blacksmith II

Old Salt,
        An internet search can give you many different first person accounts. I recommend doing that as there are some great primary accounts out there.

I just happened to be transcribing the last letter and thought I would share it on the AC. I think the letter from the Army blacksmith was a bit different from the usual. He was once a soldier but sometime had turned to doing blacksmithing for the Army. I'm still doing research on this individual. Here is another letter he wrote not long after the last one. In this one, he shares his current views on the war. (By the way-this soldier's handwriting wasn't the greatest in the world so I did my best to transcribe it correctly.)

Camp near Va
        Strawbury
        Jan 17 64

Dear Sir
        I take the present opertunity to let you know that I received your letter of the 10 and was glad to hear from you and that you was well for myself I have had as good health for the last 8 month as I ever had Especially sinse I have got to Blacksmithing it is hard work and a great deal to do there is 2 of us in the Brig train and we have 150 mules to shou
        Besides about 50 or 60 head of horses and to dou it you may think we are buser but God knows that I would sooner work that my eyes would hang down below the chin then to go in another battle I have went through 2 safe and I don’t wont to see another one and for once to say that we will take Richmond is Plaid out this rout Any how besides I don’t think the hole combined North could do it and unless we get men enough to hold them at the point of the bayonet here and then an army to do some other rout and take it we will never take it but my humble opinion is that they will give up soon but iff they don’t between this July I shall make up my mind that I will have to serve my term of 3 years These are the sentiment of my mind no then with regard to letters you have directed them still to the Reg and I am about 2 mile from the Reg and I don’t get there only about once a month and so I don’t get them so I would advise you to put on the envelope
        Directions as I give them no more at the present but remain yours truly
        Andrew Harp
        Direction 3rd Brigade 1st Div
        2 A Corps
        in care of Capt. C W Lefingwell
        A [4?] M
        Via Washington
        DC
        Matthew Rector

Comment

Working...
        X