Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regimental Research

Gentlemen,

This is the most appropriate place I could think of to post this. Moderators, feel free to move this post if you deem it neccessary.

I was wondering, do any of you know of any books, or have any records on the 15th Indiana, or the 140th Indiana? I am writing off to the state archives tommorow, but thought to check here. If any of you know of anywhere else I should look, or have anything that you would be willing to send a copy of to me, please let me know. My grandmother asked me to find out this information, since we had relatives in each regiment. Any help is welcome. Thank you for your time.

YOS
    [FONT=Georgia][FONT=Georgia]Very Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerkin
    Rah Virginia Mil '11
    Tar Water Mess-GHTI
    VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Re: Regimental Research

Charlie,
    You probably already know this-but you can get the basic info for these regiments on the NPS site the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System. You can get organization and service info along with a roster.

If you haven't already you might also want to look in the official records for any mention of the regiments. I know of no books that specifically deal with these regiments-doesnt mean there aren't any though.
    Matthew Rector

Comment

Hi Charlie,

Yes, indeed, you can obtain information on both units in the form of microfilmed regimental correspondence files at the Indiana State Archives:

Each roll of film runs approximately $25 each.

As you may, or may not, know there are also numerous references to the 15th and 140th IVI's in the "Official Records." Indeed, both units captured Confederate colors on one or more occasions. In the case of the 140th IVI, a flag it captured in early 1865 was presented to Oliver P. Morton in Washington DC with no less than Abraham Lincoln in attendance.

The Indiana State Library and Indiana Historical Society also hold images and documentation relating to both units:

Definitely check out the State Library on-line collection of CW Indiana soldier cdv's.

You can also find images of many Indiana troops at Craig Dunn's "Civil War Indiana" website (although I don't think he lists any for the 15th or 140th):

Here are on-line regimental bibliographies for the 15th and 140th IVI's:

Time permitting, you should also check the surviving regimental order books for the 15th and 140th IVI's--both are maintained in Record Group 94, National Archives, Washington DC:

Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:

Information on issued arms and accoutrements of the 15th and 140th IVI's is contained in at least two sources:

"Indiana State Armorer's Books" (on microfilm at the Indiana State Archives)

Summary Statements of Quarterly Returns of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores on Hand in Regular and Volunteer Army Organizations, 1862–1867, 1870–1876 (National Archives Microfilm Publication M1281)

Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:

Both of the above give good "snapshots."

You should also check the county historical societies in the regions of Indiana that provided troops to the 15th and 140th IVI's. In some cases they have interesting information and even relics associated with these units. The 15th IVI, in fact, was organized at Camp Tippecanoe in Lafayette, Indiana the site of which is at the top of 4th Street hill, only six blocks from my house.

Have you checked the "Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana?" This was published in 8 vols. between 1865-1868 and, though containing numerous errors and omissions, is still an invaluable reference work.

Check the papers for the counties that contributed troops to these units. You can sometimes find information therein available nowhere else. The "Dornbusch" regimental bibliographies are also helpful and have been revised and expanded:

However, note that new information is coming to light all the time. I recently obtained an obscure, c.1920 collection of wartime reminisces by a member of Company A, 15th IVI! To my knowledge these have appeared nowhere else.

Finally, if you haven't done so, check out the Indiana War Memorial battleflag website:

One of the featured colors is the regimental flag of the 15th IVI. At least three flags ID'd to the 15th have survived although, alas, none of the 140th are in the IWM collection.

Please let me know if I can assist you further,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Thanks a lot gentlemen. That should give me a good solid start.
        Thanks again.

YOS
        [FONT=Georgia][FONT=Georgia]Very Respectfully,
        Charlie Gerkin
        Rah Virginia Mil '11
        Tar Water Mess-GHTI
        VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X