Richmond Defences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Defences

A relative of mine fought with the 6th Virginia of Mahone's Brigade during the Peninsula Campaign, but was transfered to the "Richmond Defences," and remained there presumedly until the city fell. Could anyone tell me a little more about the unit(s) as I have found none. It was mentioned on a letter from his veteran group, George Picket's post(?). Thanks
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Re: Richmond Defences

I would guess that specific unit membership information wasn't available, so they just put "Richmond Defenses" on the paper. You've got to keep in mind when looking at period records that the writers/recorders are extremely vague most of the time.
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
    [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
    [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

Help me out a little bit. The Richmond defenses were manned by many units. Some were reserves, some were infantry units simply assigned to this duty. In addition, some units rotated in and out of this duty as a rest for the troops.

Do you have a service location? Many were stationed at Chaffin's Bluff or Drewery's Bluff on the James River. Some were north of the city, some east. As you can see, the possibilities are very broad.

I must disagree with the previous poster, the Confederate military was like almost every military machine of history, they moved by paper almost as by mules. The precision of the records is amazing. You must, however, look in the correct place and know how to research those records.

If you have your relative's full name, it is very possible to find his service records at the Library of Virginia or the National Archives. A little research can go along way here as the service records will also have a brief unit record and list transfers to other units. Once you find the thread, unraveling the sweater becomes the source of much pride in accomplishment.

Just some ideas and thought to help you along the way.
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Greetings,

"Ken Jones' Eclectic Projects" site might at least give you some leads:

http://www.tarleton.edu/~kjones/CSva-wv.html#VA-Gen'l

Another potential source might be Stewart Sifakis' Virginia volume in his "Compendium of the Confederate Armies" series (Facts on File, 1992). This would be available for purchase, in many large academic libraries, or through interlibrary loan.

The Virginia Historical Society site might also be helpful:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll plug his name into some searches and see what comes up.
          Mark Krausz
          William L. Campbell
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Mark,

If you would supply us with his name, perhaps one of us could help figure out his affiliation.

Eric
            Eric J. Mink
            Co. A, 4th Va Inf
            Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Joseph Hill, but we are fairly certain there is a middle name. This is as much information we have available right now, and will be contacting relatives in VA for copies of this. With this, you know as much as I know. The documentation reads out;

"Pickett-Buchanan Camp Confederate Veterans- Norfolk Virginia"
              To whom it may concern, we do hereby declare and certify that Joseph S. (?) Hill intered the military service of the Confederate States of America on the ___ of April 1861 as a Private in Co. A (?) 6th VA Inf., ANV. Participated in the Seven Days Battle around Richmond, June(?) 29th 1862 at Falling Creek Virginia, and entered the Shi(?) (?)uiness Department at Richmond, VA. Was attached to company E, 4th Battalioin Richmond Defences, and took part with the command in repulsing the enemy and their numerous raids against Richmond. Paroled at fall of Richmond and was on the 27th of March, 1887, elected a member of Pickett-Buchanan Camp. And upon ___(?) proof of the above military record, had been awarded this cerificate. In testimony whereof, we have here onto set out hands and affixed the Seal of the Camp this 1st day of Jan. 1890.
              _______ commander
              Jackson Adjutant
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

The 6th regimental history list the following:

Hill, Joseph S: b 1843 Eastern Shore; occup. huckster; pvt enlist 4/22/61 Norfolk City 1 year.; Co.A; 3/62 claim exempt under age; 8/1/62 disch; produce dealer liv Clay St., Norfolk; member Pickett-Buchanan Camp, UCV in 1889; d 9/30/91
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Mark,

According to the CS rosters, your ancestor served in Co. E, 4th Battalion Local Defense Infantry.

Lee A. Wallace, in A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations 1861-1865 (1986), has this to say about the battalion:

"4th (Naval) Bn. Va. Local Defense Troops
                  Minor, Robert Dabney, Maj. (1st Lt. C.S. Navy), 1863-1864 (assigned to James River Squadron)
                  Curlin, Martine W., Maj., 1864-1865

Organized on June 22, 1863, this battalion was mustered into Confederate States service, June 23, 1863, for local defense and special service exclusively for the defense of Richmond and environs for the term of "residence in city," with five companies, A to E. Company F was added June 27, 1863, but it appears later to have been withdrawn from the battalion.

Co. E, Capt. John Brown's Co.; formerly called Co. B; comprised of Rockett's Navy Yard employees and detailed soldiers. Captains: John W. Brown, jesse D. Thomas."

Joseph E. Crute, in Units of the Confederate States Army (1987), has this to say about the organization:

"4th Infantry Battalion Local Defense Troops was organized in June, 1863, exclusively for the defense of Richmond. Its six companies were made up of employees from the Naval Ordnance Works, the Navy Yard, Rockett's Navay yard, and the Richmond and Danville Railroad. In July it contained 308 effectives and later was assigned to General G.W.C. Lee's Brigade in the Department of Richmond. Most of the men were captured during the Appomattox operations at Sayler's Creek. Majors Martin W. Curlin and R.D. Minor were in command."

I hope this is of some help.

Eric
                  Eric J. Mink
                  Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                  Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Mark:

What a wonderful gift Eric has provided you. Research is fun!
                    Ley Watson
                    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Mr. Mink,
                      Thank you very much for the information you provided. I'm quite delighted at what you've been able to find of my ancestor, which I will use to further find more information about the man and the rest of the Battalion. Thanks again!
                      Mark Krausz
                      William L. Campbell
                      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Mark,

I'm glad you found the information useful. A quick scan of the Official Records shows that during the last year of the war, George W.C. Lee's Brigade of Local Defense Troops consisted of the 2nd and 3rd regiments Va. Local Defense infantry and the 1st, 4th and 5th battalions of Va. Local Defense infantry.

This brigade seems to have spent much of its time occupying Richmond's defenses in the area around Chaffin's Farm, southeast of the city. They did see some action there in early October 1864 and were engaged at Fort Gilmer on October 1. At that time they were temporarily commanded by Ltc. Daniel E. Scruggs of the 2nd Regiment Va. Local Defense Infantry. This action is covered in Richard J. Sommers' Richmond Redeemed (1981).

It might interest you to know that Fort Gilmer has been preserved and is part of the Richmond National Battlefield Park, as is most of the Confederate Intermediate Line of Richmond's defenses in the Chaffin's Farm area.

Eric
                        Eric J. Mink
                        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

At the risk of further proving my stupidity
                          where are these kinds of records located or (I guess better) is there a master list of the records.

Don Smith

Comment

Don,

Which records are you referring to? The Official Records are available in hardcopy format (127 volumes) at most university libraries, or in digital format on CD through various vendors, or on-line at http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/b...aphs/waro.html

The references to G.W.C. Lee and the Local Defense Troops in the ORs were found through keyword searches on the CD version.

The other referenced volumes in my previous posts are published studies and books.

Eric
                            Eric J. Mink
                            Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
                            X