Black slave owner an 'untold part' of history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black slave owner an 'untold part' of history

This was a article in the Tennessean - Thursday, 02/22/07 thought it was quite interesting. and a peice of history not often seen .

Steven

=============================================

Black slave owner an 'untold part' of history
    Descendant traces wealthy Midstate landowner

By Colby Sledge - Staff Writer - Tennessean

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....=2007702220382

Like many wealthy landowners of the pre-Civil War South, Sherrod Bryant owned slaves. They probably worked much of Bryant's 700 acres in Middle Tennessee, an area larger than that of Andrew Jackson's Hermitage plantation.

The slaves under Bryant helped raise hogs for their owner, who had a large family and was always looking to buy more property. Unlike many slave owners, however, Sherrod Bryant was black.

Today, the notion of a black man owning black slaves seems contradictory — Bryant himself was a free black — and perhaps even hypocritical. According to Bryant's descendants, however, their ancestor, who was never a slave, was simply following the normal pattern of life for a rich landowner in the Upper South.

"I think at some point some of the members (of the family) might not have looked upon it very favorably, but the more we discuss it, the more we suddenly realize that to gain wealth during that time, if you had a lot of property, you had to have slaves to help you cultivate it," said Carl Bryant, a fourth-generation descendant of Sherrod.

Ancestor's life studied

For the past six years, Carl, a retired Air Force veteran, has studied the life of Sherrod Bryant, who probably was among the wealthiest blacks in Tennessee in the 1800s. Upon his arrival to the state in 1806 from North Carolina, the then 25-year-old Sherrod Bryant set to purchasing land, acquiring seven different parcels in the still-fledgling Midstate between 1811 and 1852.

That land included 300 acres known as Bryant Grove on the Rutherford County side of Long Hunter State Park, as well as the area of the Schermerhorn Symphony Center in downtown Nashville.

Along the way, he picked up slaves to help him work the land, Carl Bryant said. He used a genealogy Web site along with an inventory list from county archives that listed 22 slaves under Sherrod's possession, including some who appeared to be children of older slaves.

"That was just a fact, that if you had a lot of property and you were a big farmer plus you had to feed your family, you had slaves because where would you find help?" Carl Bryant said.

There have been several cases of free blacks owning slaves in the pre-Civil War South, according to Dr. George Smith, a Murfreesboro physician and Civil War re-enactor who said he began studying the issue of blacks owning slaves after hearing of Sherrod Bryant.

Smith said free blacks would often purchase slaves to free them, but Carl Bryant said he had no evidence that Sherrod freed his slaves after his death in 1854.

"Most of our impressions of slavery has been influenced by TV and movies," Smith said. "But slavery was a peculiar institution, and Sherrod Bryant was part of that."

Dr. David Carlton, a professor at Vanderbilt University who specializes in the history of the South, said that while it was possible for a free black to own a large amount of slaves, it certainly wasn't common.

"Generally speaking, 20 slaves is treated by historians as the lower limit of farming a plantation," Carlton said.

He was 'one of a kind'

Carl Bryant went through county archives in Nashville, Murfreesboro and Lebanon as well as federal census records and genealogy records from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to discover more about Sherrod.

He hasn't been able to find much about Sherrod's parents, however, information crucial to understanding the source of Sherrod's wealth.

The Bryant family contains mixed-race lineage, Carl said, and he wonders whether Sherrod's father was white.

"He knew all the right people," Carl said of Sherrod, who had a letter issued by influential members of Davidson County that asked that Sherrod be treated "in every respect as if he were a white man" when purchasing land.

"It's a very, very important untold part of Tennessee history," said Dan Whittle, president of Friends of Long Hunter State Park.

Whittle said he became interested in Sherrod Bryant's story after driving through the park one day and noticing a sign signifying Bryant's status as one of the wealthiest free blacks in Tennessee.

"He was a successful free black entrepreneur with papers and was really unique in Tennessee history — kind of a one-of-a-kind person up until that era," he said.

Sherrod Bryant is buried in Bryanttown Cemetery on Elm Hill Pike, where the inscription on his marker reads, "Here rests from his labors Sherod (sic) Bryant, whose honesty, piety and industry were examples."

Those virtues, and not simply his slave holdings, are what Carl Bryant wants his notable ancestor to be remembered for.

"Many pioneers that came have died and have been forgotten," he said. "I don't want him to be forgotten."
    [B]Steven Cone
    "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
    <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer
    Living Historian and Battlefield Preservationist
    [COLOR="Blue"]ACPP ; CWPT ; BONPS ; STFB [/COLOR][/B]

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Re: Black slave owner an 'untold part' of history

Obviously Black Slave owners wasn't that common when only one in twenty whites owned slaves, so proportionately the ratio would be less. I've studied slavery a bit, and find it interesting just how many black slave owners there really were. In the Teche area of South Louisiana there was a community of free blacks who owned slaves and were outraged when Banks confiscated their property to build earthworks during the Red River Campaign. Outraged so much so that they sued the Federal Government after the war for loss of property.

A good source for this is a hard to find copy of work commissioned by Henry Watkins Allen and I think entitled "The atrocities of the Federal Army in South Louisiana" Title is probably not right I'll recheck that when I get home. However the book is a compilation of affadavits from the citizens of the area and is a record of what was stolen, destroyed, and done to the people in the way of Banks' army during the Louisana campaign.

Interesting that this black man could come into Tennessee and purchase property and slaves, work and compete with other plantations and avoid being "whipped" by those Wite Devil's and disrobed of his free status. I thought all slave owners and white people in general beat all blacks into submission

Great article, thanks for the info.
    Dennis Neal
    "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
    David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
    Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
    [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Although therir # where few i'm sure .. It none the less a story that should be told.

Thank you for info as well.

Steven
      [B]Steven Cone
      "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
      <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Comment

If anyone is interested in this subject, he/she should pickup Black Slaveowners: Free Black Slave Masters in South Carolina, 1790-1860 by Larry Koger

Here is some interesting info. from the book...

William Ellison, Sr. (Ellerson in the 1860 Census) was a free mulatto who, in 1850, owned 37 slaves and in 1860, owned 63 slaves. His occupation is listed as a gin maker in Sumter District, South Carolina in both the 1850 and 1860 censuses.

The book is really great, including an appendix with the names of the black slave owners from 1790-1860 and two appendices on transactions of sale.

Regards,

Chris
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
        [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

Here's another good book about free blacks owning slaves "Myne Owne Ground" Race & Freedom on Virginia's Eastern shore 1640-1676 By: T. H. Breen and Stephen Innes, published by Oxford Press. I know the time frame is much earlier then the Civil War but if you want to read about the subject of blacks owning slaves, it's a good read. These's guys owned white slaves, indentures, indians, and blacks. Also, if i remember correctly (and I'm not sure the time frame) but the largest slave owner in the north was black, I read it somwhere but for the life of me can't remember where, but it always stuck out because not only was it a reference to slavery in the north, but because they were owned by a black. I think as was mentioned in the article it was a "peculiar institution", and all sides of it need to be shown and understood.
          Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
          Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
          5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Perhaps the defining book of a free black slaveowner is William Johnson's Natchez: The Ante-Bellum Diary of a Free Negro edited by William Ransom Hogan and Edwin Adams Davis. Johnson's home was owned by Natchez National Historic Site in Mississippi. Unfortunately, Johnson's quest to fit in with white society led to his death in 1851.
            Sincerely,
            Emmanuel Dabney
            Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
            http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful extra info.
              [B]Steven Cone
              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"

Comment

Just an FYI: When interpreting history don't get caught on our modern preferred use of the word "peculiar" as a synonym for "strange." It translated as "distinct" or "special" when used to describe the institution of slavery in the period we study.
                [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Mr. Dabney is correct!
                  Was told about the book years ago, unless I am incorrect it is reprinted again.

Dean Burchfield
                  Dean Burchfield
                  [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                  Cleburnes
                  Hard Case Boys
                  Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                  Napoléon Bonaparte
                  A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Here is an interesting web site:

Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Another interesting site on a very interesting subject, this site provides the source for the records from several different counties in Virginia and contains information on Anthony Johnson ( black) owning John Casor, in Virgnia 1654.

Most Sincerely Yours
                      Bob Brewer
                      Gaithersburg,MD
                      Robert Brewer

Comment

"If anyone is interested in this subject, he/she should pickup Black Slaveowners: Free Black Slave Masters in South Carolina, 1790-1860 by Larry Koger"

I've read this one! It is a good one.

I enjoy when I start the section in class about slavery. Our textbooks today love to paint the north as everyone being anti-slavery fighting for the moral cause while everyone in the south owns slaves and they were all evil. :tounge_sm

When are the textbook companies going to get a clue about the Civil War and other events in U.S. history?

Seth Graves
                        Seth Graves

Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.

-William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

While anecdotally a bit interesting, I'm not sure of the significance of these exceptions.

Fact remains that it was a group of Southerns who owned nearly all the slaves in the Country by the time of the CW, even as they themselves were a minority of all Southerns-- a minority with big political power to be sure -- but still a minority.

The few Southern slave owners that happened to be free Black or Native American were merely represent a small minority of a minority, so statistically speaking, if not morally speaking, an abberration.

- Dan Wykes
                          Danny Wykes

Comment

I would deffinately agree with this being a very very small minority of slave owners. However, I think it does ad a bit of ironey to the sugar coated history many people receive today.
                            Seth Graves

Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.

-William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

Curious as well, we almost never hear about Native American slaveowners...

I once was reading a copy of the official guide to historical Charleston, SC (the one unpublished book used today by the City of Charleston to quiz prospective tour guides for licenses) ad it said that in the mid-19th century a free black man (possibly mulatto) by the name of Jehu Jones owned an upscale, white-guests-admitted only hotel and boarding house on or about somewhere near Meeting Street. He was known to own slaves (probably under 10 for houshold chores).

The book said he was noted to have kept one of the best hotels in Charleston. I don't know if the official town history still talks of this or the forces of political correctness have won this battle, though.

We hear little to nothing of African-American slaveowners because Holly-weird has beeen dictating their side of "history" for the past 50 years to an unwitting, generally-uncaring American public. Also helps that the 'winner of the war writes the history' too...

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                              X